Courts & Legal Services | Western Cape Government

22Covid-19 Alerts

COVID-19 Vaccine Information and Dashboard

View Vaccine information

TB Information and Dashboard

View TB information

Courts & Legal Services

Getting legal assistance

You can get professional legal advice and representation even if you can’t afford it.

Busi Goes to Court

(Public Information)
(File type: pdf; size: 741.19 KB)
This colour-in story explains what a child can expect if they are required to go to court as a witness or complainant.

Constitutional Court Website

This court hears all matters concerning human rights or the constitution. The site contains information on upcoming cases as well as the judgements from previous cases. There are also details on the rules of the court and the Constitutional Court judges.

Court Watching Brief

(Public Information)
The Court Watching Brief Unit was introduced by the Department of Community Safety to act in accordance with the Constitutional provisions contained in Section 206 (3) of the Constitution of the Republic of South Africa 1996, which provides interalia that every province is entitled to monitor police conduct and report inefficiencies. This is also done in accordance with the Western Cape Community Safety Act. (Act No 3 of 2013) in particular Section 3.

Enforcing a Maintenance Order

If the court has ordered that a parent must pay child support, it's a criminal offence not to pay.

Equality Courts

Equality Courts are courts designed to deal with matters covered by the Promotion of Equality and Prevention of Unfair Discrimination Act 4 of 2000, also known as the Equality Act.

Getting a maintenance order

As parents, we have a legal duty to support our children financially. If you're the primary caregiver of a child, you have the right to apply to a maintenance court for an official demand that the other parent contributes monthly to support the child.

Getting Witness Protection

If you’re a witness and fear for your safety and that of your family, you can apply for witness protection. You can be afraid of a single person or a group of people. Anyone close to you can apply for witness protection for you if you’re unable to do so.

Labour Courts Website

This site contains judgements from the labour court from 1998 to 2001.

Small Claims Court: Institute Your Own Claim

(Public Information)
This document sets out what you need to do to institute a claim in the Small Claims Court. It also contains information on the court procedures.

The Courts of South Africa

(Public Information)
Confused about the courts in South Africa? This document explains South Africa's court structure, and has contact details for the courts as well as links to their decisions online.

Who are Probation Officers?

(Public Information)
This short article explains the role of probation officers in the criminal justice system.