Staying Safe | Western Cape Government

Staying Safe

A Safer Home for the Whole Family

(Public Information)
This guide on how to ensure that your home and garden are safe for you and your children was sponsored by HTH, in association with Child Accident Prevention Foundation of Southern Africa.

Anti-Terrorism Bill

(File type: pdf; size: 38 KB)15 November 2002Secretariat of Safety and Security (The Government of South Africa)
This bill gives effect within the Republic to the relevant international instruments relating to terrorism, provides for offences relating to terrorist acts and for measures designed to combat terrorism.

Bambanani against Crime - Keeping Children Safe

(Public Information)
"A Safer Home for All Our Women and Children": The safety of our women and children is a priority for the Provincial Government of the Western Cape.

Calling for Help in an Emergency

Every second counts in an emergency, and could mean the difference between life and death.

Contacting Your Community Police Forum

A Community Police Forum (CPF) consists of organisations and institutions such as schools, ratepayers associations, civic organisations, businesses and religious institutions, working in partnership with the local police. The purpose of a CPF is to create and maintain a safe and secure environment for citizens living in the CPF's area.

Getting Witness Protection

If you’re a witness and fear for your safety and that of your family, you can apply for witness protection. You can be afraid of a single person or a group of people. Anyone close to you can apply for witness protection for you if you’re unable to do so.

Hijacking Awareness Guide

(Public Information)
This guide provides information on how you can avoid hijacking situations. Its creation was sponsored by Netstar.

Protection from Domestic Abuse

If you're the victim of domestic relationship with, then you should apply for a protection order in terms of the Domestic Violence Act. A protection order has conditions, which limits the abuser's interaction with you. Should the abuser break these conditions then they can be arrested.

Reporting Rape

If you have been raped or sexually assaulted, you can report this to the police. It is your choice whether to report, but if you do not report then your case will not be investigated or prosecuted. Police are not allowed to refuse to investigate your case if you report it. However, if there is too little evidence after an investigation by the police, a prosecutor may decide not to prosecute your case.

Shelters for Women Who are Abused

A shelter is a place where victims of crime and violence are able to live for a period of one day up to approximately 3 months depending on the needs of the victims. The shelter assists with meeting basic needs such as:

Victims of Sexual Offences: What You Should Know!

(Public Information)
This pamphlet provides practical support and information about reporting the assault to the police, the medical examination by the accredited health care practitioner, the feelings you may have after being sexually assaulted, and where to get help and support.