Department of Cooperative Governance & Traditional Affairs (National): Overview
The aim of the Department of Cooperative Governance & Traditional Affairs is to develop and promote a national system of integrated and co-operative governance and to support provincial and local government.
The primary mandate of the Department is:
- To develop and monitor national policy and legislation that seeks to transform and strengthen government authorities to fulfil their roles.
- To develop, promote and monitor mechanisms, systems and structures to enable integrated service delivery within government.
- To promote sustainable development by providing support to provincial and local government.
The Department offers services relating to the following:
- financial systems
- legal systems
- intergovernmental relations systems
- performance management systems
- traditional leadership and institutions
- development planning systems
- local economic development
- human resource development systems
- information and information technology systems.