Independent Complaints Directorate: Overview
The Directorate is responsible for promoting proper police conduct in accordance with the principles of the Constitution.
IPID strives to be an effective, independent and impartial investigating and oversight body that is committed to justice and acting in the public interest while maintaining the highest standards of integrity and excellence.
The IPID investigate the following (specified) matters:
- Any death in police custody.
- Death as a result of police actions.
- Any complaint relating to the discharge of an official firearm by any police officer.
- Rape by a police officer, whether the police office is on or off duty.
- Rape of any person while that person is in police custody.
- Any complaint of torture or assault against a police officer in the execution of his or her duties.
- May investigate corruption matters with the police initiated by the Executive Director on his or her own, or after the receipt of a complaint from a member of the public, or referred to the Directorate by the Minister, an MEC or the Secretary of the Police, as the case may be.
- Any other matter referred to it as a result of a decision by the Executive Director, or of so requested by the Minister, an MEC or the Secretary of Police as the case may be.