Civil Unions | Western Cape Government

Civil Unions


The Civil Union Act (effective from December 2006) allows anyone - regardless of their sexual orientation - to marry either through a civil union, a civil marriage or a customary marriage.

Civil unions may be conducted by:

  • Designated marriage officers for specific religious denominations or organisations.
  • Designated officers employed by the Department of Home Affairs and the Magistrates' Courts.

At least 2 competent witnesses must be present at the ceremony.

Requirements for Registering a Civil Union

  • Both persons must be 18 years or older to enter into a Civil Union.
  • Both persons may not be already married in terms of any other Act.

Documents Required to Conclude a Civil Union

  • Valid South African identity books for both persons entering into the Civil Union.
  • A valid passport if one of the partners is a foreign national.
  • A completed Form DHA-1763 (Declaration for the Purpose of Marriage).
  • Form DHA-1766 (Civil Union register), which must be completed by the marriage officer.
  • A completed Form DHA-1764 (Registration of a Civil Union) in which the couple must indicate whether or not they are entering into a Civil Union marriage or a Civil Union partnership.
  • A copy of the Divorce Order if one of the partners was previously married but subsequently divorced.

If any of the required documentation can't be produced, one of the partners must submit an affidavit confirming the documents can't be made available for the purpose of concluding the Civil Union.

Provided At: These facility categories:
Provided by:
Government Body: (The Government of South Africa)
The content on this page was last updated on 11 December 2019