Old Age Pension (Old Persons Grant) | Western Cape Government

Old Age Pension (Old Persons Grant)


Old age grantThe Older Person's Grant, commonly referred to as the state old-age pension, is a monthly payment made to citizens, legal permanent residents, and refugees who are 60 years of age or older and do not have any other sources of income. This grant aims to financially assist our older residents when they can’t work anymore.  

You qualify for an older person’s grant if:

  • You are a South African citizen, permanent resident, or refugee.
  • You live in South Africa.
  • You are 60 years or older.
  • You are not living in a state institution.
  • You are not receiving payments from another social grant.
  • Your spouse complies with the means test.
  • You submit your identity document (ID).
  • You don't earn more than R86 280 if you are single, or R 172 560 if married.
  • You don't have assets worth more than R1 227 600 if you are single, or R2 455 200 if you're married.

How much is the grant?

The amount of the grant changes every year. Currently, the maximum amount is R2 080 per month. If you're older than 75 years, you'll get R2 100. Any changes in the grant amounts are reflected yearly in the national budget speech or at the opening of Parliament.

What you need to know about the grant application process

You can apply for the old age grant by filling in an application form at your nearest SASSA office and submitting the following supporting information: 

  • Your official identity document (ID).
    • If you don't have an ID: 
      • You must complete an affidavit on a standard SASSA form in the presence of a Commissioner of Oaths who's not a SASSA official. A SASSA official will provide the documents to you.
      • You must bring a sworn statement signed by a reputable person (like a councillor, traditional leader, social worker, minister of religion or school principal) who can verify your name and age.
      • The SASSA official will take your fingerprints. While SASSA processes your application, you will be sent to the Department of Home Affairs to apply for the ID.  SASSA will suspend your grant if you fail to get an ID.
  • Proof of your marital status (if applicable).
  • Proof of your address.
  • Proof of your income and dividends.
  • Proof of your assets, including the value of the property you own.
  • Proof of your private pension (if any).
  • Your 3-month bank statement. 
  • If you were employed, an Unemployment Insurance Fund (UIF) ('blue book') or discharge certificate from your previous employer.
  • If your spouse died within the last 5 years, a copy of your spouse’s death certificate, their will, and the first and final liquidation and distribution accounts, where applicable.

Old age grantNote: If you're too old or sick to travel to the office to apply personally, a family member or friend can apply on your behalf. The person should take a letter from you and a doctor's note saying why you can't visit the office.

Complete the application form in the presence of the SASSA officer (note that only you, as the applicant or a SASSA official, can complete the application form). The officer will interview and inform you if you qualify for the grant.

Although the application is free, you'll get a receipt. Keep it as proof that you applied.

How long will it take for the application to be processed?

  • It may take up to 3 months to process your application.
    • If your grant is approved, you'll be paid from the date on which you applied.
    • If SASSA refuses your application, they will give you a letter explaining why and how you can appeal within 90 days of being notified.

SASSA will cancel your grant if you die, are admitted to a state institution or if your income or assets improve so much that you no longer pass the means test. You have to inform the department of any changes in your circumstances.

Payment options and details

SASSA will pay the grant to you through one of the following methods:

  • Cash at a specific pay point on a particular day.
  • Electronic deposit into your bank or Postbank account (the bank may charge you for the service)
  • Institutions (e.g. old age homes).

Note: If you're can't collect the money in person, you can appoint someone to collect the grant on your behalf. 

Also, remember that normal bank charges can apply to any money going in and out of your bank account. You can decide to change the payment method at any time by filling in a form at a welfare office, but the change will only happen a month later.

What if your application is not approved?

If your application wasn't approved, SASSA will inform you in writing why your application was unsuccessful. If you disagree with the decision, you can appeal to the National Department of Social Development. You must appeal within 90 days of being notified that your application was unsuccessful.

The means test

Only people who receive a monthly income below a certain level can get the grant. The test to decide this is called a means test.

Because social assistance like state grants is meant for people who can't support themselves, the South African Social Security Agency (SASSA) looks at the income and assets of the person applying for a social grant to determine whether a person qualifies to receive a grant or not.

General enquiries

elderly lady on the side of the roadCall the toll-free helpline at 0800 601 011 for further information on:

  • Pay-out dates
  • Qualifying rules for all government grants
  • District office addresses and contact numbers
  • For help with what has happened to your application
  • How you can also report any fraud or corruption

SASSA Western Cape 

Street address: Golden Acre, Adderley Street, Cape Town, 8001
Postal address: Private Bag X9189, Cape Town, 8000
Tel: 021 469 0200
Fax: 021 469 0260
Email: GrantsEnquiriesWC@sassa.gov.za

For further information, please visit these websites:

Department of Social Development

South African Social Security Agency (SASSA)

Old Age Grant Booklet

Provided by:
Government Body: (The Government of South Africa)
The content on this page was last updated on 28 June 2023