Ulwazi Resource Centre: Overview
ULWAZI NEWSLETTER Download the latest issue The Ulwazi Resource Centre is a crucial information source for all employees of the Department wanting the latest updates from the field of social development. It is located on the 5th floor, Union House, 14 Queen Victoria Street, Cape Town.
Download the latest issue
The Ulwazi Resource Centre is a crucial information source for all employees of the Department wanting the latest updates from the field of social development.
It is located on the 5th floor, Union House, 14 Queen Victoria Street, Cape Town.
The Ulwazi Resoure Centre is a good point of access for:
- Representatives from other state departments seeking referrals to appropriate people within the Department of Social Development;
- Students doing research projects; and
- Journalists wishing to do research on the Department.
You can access the following through the centre:
- Regional newspapers The following titles are received daily: Cape Times, Die Burger, Cape Argus, Weekend Argus (weekly), Mail & Guardian (weekly)
- The Internet Offering unrestricted access for work-related purposes.
- Journals on developmental issues For example, Africa Renewal Journal and Delivery.
- Departmental and governmental publications For example, Departmental newsletters and the National Budget Speech.
- CDs containing research reports in electronic format.
- Books pertaining to social issues in South Africa. New books are ordered every month.
- Videos and DVDs on a range of topics, for example, HR issues.
- A television for viewing videos and DVDs. The TV also has a live broadcast from parliament and legislature.
Access of the centre and use of the photocopier and printer at the Centre are free of cost up to five pages.
If you need to make more printouts or photocopies, please ask the information officer on duty for help in forwarding the electronic material to your Directorate.
Users of the Centre are encouraged to peruse books and publications in the Centre's comfortable reading room.
The Ulwazi Resource Centre only lends out books and publivations in exceptional circumstances due to the Centre not having duplicate publications. If a publication is lent out, the following conditions apply:
- Lending rights Only employees of the Provincial Department of Social Development may borrow books. No more than two books can be borrowed at a time, for no more than five working days at a time.
- Overdue items A fine of R10 a day will be levied for all overdue items.
- Renewals Books may be renewed unless they have already been reserved.
- Reservations Reservations for publications may be made 24 hours in advance.
- Missing/Lost publications Employees will be held responsible for the full cost of missing, lost or damaged publications.
Internet and workstation use
The Internet may only used for work purposes. The standard IT policies of the Provincial Government of the Western Cape also apply to the Resource Centre. Users using the Internet for illegal purposes will be subject to a disciplinary hearing.