Safety Promotion and Partnership and Community Police Relations: Overview
|Tel:||021 483 6949|
|Fax:||021 483 6591|
The purpose of Safety Promtion, Partnership and Community Police Relations is to make safety everyone's responsibility by building partnerships, creating forums for promoting active citizenship in the field of community safety and by informing public opinion about the state of safety. This programme also aims to create safety awareness and to provide safer communities through the implementation of neighbourhood watch structures, the promotion of the departmental complaints line, as well as introducing gang and prevention initiatives. Community Police Relations works very closely with the Community Policing Forums (CPF) in the various communities, and aims to capacitate and support them.
These services are delivered through three sub-programmes: Safety Promtion and Partnership, Community Police Relations and Promotion of Safety.
Safety Promtion and Partnership
- Develops and sustains safety strutegies, design safety models and institutions. Training institutions currently under this directorate:
- Chrysalis Academy
- Wolwekloof Academy
- Neighborhood Watch Training and Accreditation
- Community Policing Forum capacitation
- Co-ordinates frameworks for safety within the Western Cape
- Community Police Relations
- Promotes good community police relatons, by promoting safety and making safety everyone's responsibility
- Implements education and awareness programmes in municipalities, communities social cluster departments and civil society institutions
The Department also values community feedback, and encourages all citizens to make use of our information helpline. By texting the word “INFO” to 35 395 (SMS charged at R1) citizens will receive an automated menu of services. The menu of services will invite the citizen to SMS any key word, on the list provided, which will grant the user access to safety information. EG: If you SMS word “Complaints” the department will then contact the citizen to get more information in order to take the matter further. If you text the word “PNP”, you would receive information about our community policing needs and priorities meetings.
Upon using the service, contact details are stored on a database, and the Department is then able to inform communities of events, and programs in their respective areas. An opt out function is available at any given time.
Having shared the above, it is safe to say, that DOCS is committed to creating safer communities, Better Together.