Matzikama Local Municipality: Overview
The Matzikama Local Municipality covers Lutzville, Ebenhaezer, Vredendal, Vanrhynsdorp, Doringbaai/Strandfontein and Klawer.
Local municipal powers
Local municipalities are mandated to:
- Pass by-laws (local laws and regulations) about any of the functions they are responsible for. By-laws may not go against any national laws.
- Approve budgets and development plans. Every year, a municipal budget must be passed that sets down how money will be raised and spent. The municipality must also approve the Integrated Development Plan (IDP).
- Impose rates and other taxes; for example, property tax.
- Charge service fees for using municipal services like water, electricity and libraries.
- Impose fines for people who break municipal by-laws; for example, traffic fines or fines for littering.
- Borrow money. The council can take out a loan for a development or other project and is permitted to use municipal assets as surety.
Local municipal functions
The Constitution confers the following areas of responsibility on local municipalities:
- Electricity delivery
- Water for household use
- Sewerage and sanitation
- Storm water systems
- Refuse removal
- Firefighting services
- Municipal health services
- Decisions around land use
- Local roads
- Local public transport
- Street trading
- Abattoirs and fresh food markets
- Parks and recreational areas
- Libraries and other community facilities
- Local tourism