Safe Play Streets
Safe Play Streets is a wellness-promoting activity in a residential area, offering FREE FUN!
What is a Safe Play Street?
- A community-managed activity.
- A residential street reserved for (children and adult) safe play for a specific period of time.
- Motorised vehicles (e.g. cars, bakkies, lorries and motorbikes) are not allowed generally; only emergency vehicles and local traffic allowed at a footpace.
- Children and adults playing in the Play Street may not be hindered or endangered.
What does a Safe Play Street offer?
- FUN and FREE activities: through games, dancing and other forms of movement!
- Environmental Wellness/Safety: through creating safe play spaces in own neighbourhood.
- Physical Wellness: through increased level of physical activity and decreased sedentary time.
- Social Wellness: through increased social interaction and connectedness: between children, between adults, and between adults and children in the neighbourhood.
Safe Play Streets Normalises Play Outside for Children and Adults!