Consolidated feedback on public transport operations on 21 July 2021
Media release by Daylin Mitchell, Western Cape Minister of Transport and Public Works
Today I joined Premier Winde and the SAPS provincial leadership at the Provincial Operations Command Centre, where a briefing was provided on the transversal safety efforts in the province and efforts to ensure commuter safety in the absence of some taxi operations due to the ongoing taxi violence.
After the police briefing, we visited Golden Arrow Bus Services where we were briefed about the company’s additional services they are currently providing to ensure all our commuters are transported home safely during these challenging times.
The recent events in public transport have once again confirmed the importance of the service provided by Golden Arrow Bus Services to the residents of the residents of the Western Cape. The company’s willingness to maximise its resources to assist our commuters despite challenging conditions is greatly appreciated.
The following is a situational report on minibus taxi operations in greater Cape Town area today. Where an area is not specifically mentioned, no specific issues were raised and operations seem to be running. Where an area is specifically mentioned and it is stated that services are running, it means that the area has been flagged as an area where disruptions are possible.
It should be made clear that this situational report is based on current information, is valid only at the time of publishing and is subject to change at any time.
- No minibus taxi (MBT) services between Mbekweni and Bellville.
- Local routes in Paarl are running.
- Limited MBT services from Khayelitsha, Nyanga and Langa leading to limited services at the Bellville Public Transport Interchange (PTI).
- Bellville PTI:
- MBT services from Eerste River and Kuilsriver are dropping passengers on Robert Sobukwe.
- MBT services on the Cape Town route are loading on Charl Malan.
- MBT services from Delft and Belhar are dropping passengers on Caledon Road.
- Limited Golden Arrow bus services.
- Langa MBT rank: all in order but with limited service to Bellville PTI. Non-affiliated MBTs operating in the area.
- Golden Arrow services are operating on Borcherds Quarry.
- Mitchell’s Plain PTI: Limited CATA or CODETA vehicles are operating and bus services are limited.
- Gugulethu PTI: Bus services are limited or not operating at all. Very limited to no MBT services
- Parow PTI: No CATA or CODETA vehicles are operating and bus services are limited.
- Durbanville PTI: Limited to no MBT services
- Wallacedene PTI: Limited to no MBT services
- Bloekombos PTI: Limited to no MBT services
- Nyanga Central PTI: Bus services are limited and loading from Nyanga Police Station.
Other modes of public transport are operating as well as minibus taxis not affiliated to the affected associations. It is also important to note that while operations at Public Transport Interchanges may be reduced, services along the routes still continue to operate.
Spokesperson for Minister Daylin Mitchell
Cell: 082 953 0026