Build your construction business
The Department of Transport and Public Works is responsible for maintaining and upgrading provincial roads in the Western Cape's road network including new road projects. We also build and upgrade health facilities for the Western Cape Department of Health and education facilities for the Western Cape Education Department (WCED).
We partner with construction companies to deliver high-quality infrastructure to the people of the Western Cape. We also develop emerging contractors by providing them with the skills and know-how to sustain their businesses and, through the proper tender process, possibly work with them on major infrastructure projects in the future.
You must be a registered contractor before you can take advantage of our skills development opportunities
Become a contractor
- Be business savvy – know the basics which include income vs expenditure, profits vs loss, resources and mark-up.
- Know project management – complete the project on time to the required quality within budget.
- Understand contracts and comply with statutory requirements.
- Be registered with the Construction Industry Development Board (CIDB) and possess a tax clearance certificate issued by the South African Revenue Service (SARS).
A contractor’s grading determines what kind of contract the business can tender for.
Register with the CIDB
You must be registered with the Construction Industry Development Board (CIDB) to work with a government department or state-owned enterprise.
- Complete an approved registration form which can be collected at any CIDB provincial office.
- Submit form and valid supporting documents. Ensure that the documents are up-to-date.
- Pay registration fee.
Read more about the CIDB application process.
Once you’ve registered with the CIDB, we can help you improve your knowledge and grading through our Contractor Development Programme (CDP).
Our CDP foundation phase training for Western Cape contractors registered with the CIDB in grades 1 and 2 and advanced training and mentoring for CIDB contractors on grades 3-5 GB/CE.
The Contractor Development Programme: foundation phase is a skills programme offered to Western Cape contractors who are registered with the Construction Industry Development Board (CIDB) in Grades 1-2. We aim to empower contractors with knowledge and skills through training resulting in individual empowerment and sustainable businesses.
- Construction information sessions
- Municipal based training programme
- Structured training programme
Advanced training and mentoring
We pair CIDB Grades 3-5 GB/CE with experienced mentors in this programme to assist them to advance to the next CIDB grade.
Read more about advanced training and mentoring