Applying for special motor vehicle number plates
Special number plates contain both personalised numbers and discrete numbers on it. Personalised number plates contain the letters WP (Western Province) at the end of the number plate.
How to Apply
If you want to apply for a special number plate, you’ll need to complete and return application form SLN1, along with a copy of your South African identity document.
Business applicants should:
- complete and return application form SLN1,
- provide a copy of their business registration certificate (Issued by Companies and Intellectual Property Commission) or traffic register number certificate (TRN).
- provide a copy of their proxy or representative's South African ID, and
- provide a letter with a business letterhead.
Note: Motorists must verify all personal and address details with any car or driving licence transaction. These documents can be used as proof.
Where to apply
You can submit your application in one of the following ways:
- Post your application forms to the licence numbers division at the Western Cape Department of Transport and Public Works at PO Box 2603, Cape Town, 8000.
- You can email your application forms to firstname.lastname@example.org
- You can also hand-deliver your application to the Departmental walk-in centre between 8am and 3pm.
If your application is approved, you’ll be issued with a letter of approval requesting payment of the applicable fees.
Once the proof of payment is submitted and processed, you’ll be issued with:
- an allocation letter, and
- an order letter for the licence plate manufacturer to enable them to manufacture the number plates.
You’ll need to license your vehicle at your appropriate motor vehicle registering authority. The allocation letter must accompany your application for licensing.
If you require any assistance or information regarding special licence number, you can contact the Western Cape Government contact centre:
Tel: 0860 212 414
Please Call Me: 079 769 1207
Fax: 021 483 7216
The special number plates are made at the appointed service provider:
Street address: Uniplate Group Pty Ltd, No. 10 14th Avenue, Maitland, 7405
You can also contact Ridha Abrahams:
Tel: 021 593 5066
Fax: 021 593 4384
For applicants living outside Cape Town, the appointed service provider will deliver the number plate to the registering authority indicated by the applicant.
Here’s a list of cost prices for alpha or numeric characters and digits and letters that you can add to your special number plate or personalised number plate.
|Personalised and special discrete licence numbers||Fee||Example|
|1 x alpha or numeric character||R10 000.00||1 - WP
B - WP
|2 x alpha and/or numeric characters||R6 000.00||11 - WP
1A - WP
AB - WP
|3 x alpha and/or numeric characters||R4 000.00||111 - WP
ABC - WP
|All others, up to a maximum of seven alpha and/or numeric characters||R1 750.00||JOHNNY2 - WP
RUN2ME - WP
|3 x digits and letters||R10 000.00||CY 6|
|4 x digits and letters||R6 000.00||CW 16
|5 X digits and letters||R4 000.00||CG 131 or CBY 15|
|6 x digits and letters||R2 000.00||CK 1441
|All others||R600.00||CFM 2332|
The registration fee for personalised and 3 to 6 digit discrete numbers is R69.00.
(Discrete numbers are personalised numbers which only the driver of the vehicle can obtain on their number plate if the car or the vehicle is in their name).