Applying for a disabled parking disc

disabled parking.jpg

If you have a disability, you can apply for a disabled parking disc from your municipality. To qualify for the disc, you’ll need to have a letter from your doctor that explains the nature and constraints of your disability.

A disabled parking disc allows you to park in allocated disability parking bays and exempts you from parking provisions in certain circumstances.

If you are issued with a disabled parking disc, you’ll need to display the disc clearly on your windscreen at all times.

Please confirm that your disabled parking disc is valid when travelling to other regions by phoning the local authority in advance, disabled parking discs issued by any local authority may not automatically be recognised by any other local authority.

A disabled parking disc can either be issued for: 

  • a period of 6 months if the applicants condition is temporary, or
  • for 24 months if the applicant’s condition is of a more permanent nature based on the medical assessment.

Note: For renewal of the parking disc the application process will have to be repeated.

To qualify for a disabled parking disc, your doctor will have to:

  • write a letter explaining your disability, and
  • complete the form that you can get from any Driving licence Testing Centre and needs to confirm that:
    • your mobility is severely impaired by an ongoing mental or physical  condition, or 
    • your mobility is temporarily but severely impaired.

The entire form must be completed by your doctor only. 

To apply for the disc, you’ll need to submit the following documents, along with your completed form:

  • your ID document,
  • 2 ID photographs,
  • the prescribed fee, and
  • the doctor's letter (check with the local municipal traffic office where you apply if they require this).

Opening hours for traffic departments vary as well as the times during which you can apply for the disc.

Please contact your local municipal traffic department for more information and to confirm their office hours and what the prescribed fee is.

You can apply for a disabled parking disc at your local municipal traffic office.

Before you decide to go to any of our traffic offices, please call to confirm their office hours.