National Teaching Awards - Provincial Awards
Distinguished Guests Awards Recipients Members of the Teaching Profession and the WCED Ladies and Gentlemen
It is a great pleasure to be here today celebrating excellence in teaching.
Each and every one of the 47 individuals that we are honouring here tonight has demonstrated commitment and dedication to the teaching profession. And we are delighted to publicly thank the outstanding teams or individual teachers in our schools.
A greek poet, Niko Kazantzakis, once wrote - "True teachers are those who use themselves as bridges over which they invite their students to cross; then, having facilitated their crossing, joyfully collapse, encouraging them to create their own."
We are lucky here in the Western Cape to have so many educators that do exactly that - they use themselves as the bridges for their learners to cross - preparing them for departure in the outside world.
Every day, thousands of excellent teachers go selflessly beyond the call of duty to ensure that their learners receive the best quality tuition they deserve.
They influence our thoughts, our outlook on life, they inspire us, and they encourage us to be the best we can be, and for that they are in turn loved and revered by the learners that pass through their classroom door each year.
But a 'true teacher' is also one that constantly evolves - and is open to developing their teaching skills throughout their career. I have been overwhelmed this year at the positive response we have had in this province to all our teaching conferences and workshops and it demonstrates the level of commitment we have here in the province for the provision of quality education.
I do honestly feel that, for whatever reason, there recently is a renewed sense of hope and determination amongst our teaching corps and I believe that this will ultimately lead to better learner outcomes. I hope we can all, together, harness this positive attitude in the year to come.
But right now, sitting before me tonight, I have 47 of our province's top teachers who are both admired and respected within their school and in their communities.
For your contribution towards excellence in our schools I would like to say thank you.
We recognize your outstanding loyalty and devotion to your learners and we are proud of your achievements.
Congratulations to you all.
I certainly hope that we, as the WCED, can live up to your expectations in treating you all like the valued professionals you are.
WINNERS OF THE 2011 TEACHING AWARDS
- Category: Excellence in Adult Basic Education & Training Name: Ms Bernadette Bailey Worcester Community Learning Centre (86 Tulbagh Street, Worcester) Tel nr: 023-342 7633/6 Cell nr: 079 562 3144
- Category: Excellence in Primary School Teaching Name: Ms Alletta [Almaret] du Toit Hexvallei High School (Voortrekker Road, De Doorns) Tel nr: 023-256 2229 Cell nr: 082 774 4225.
- Category: Excellence in Secondary School Leadership Name: Mr Archie Benjamin Mountview High School (Athwood Road, Hanover Park) Tel nr: 021-692 1359 Cell nr: 084 453 0304.
- Category: Excellence in Secondary School Teaching Name: Mr Roland Rudd Wynberg Boys' High School (Lovers' Walk, Wynberg) Tel nr: 021-797 4247 Cell nr: 073 153 1687.
- Category: Excellence in Special Needs Teaching Name: Mr Leigh Dunn Formosa Primary School (Geelhout Street, New Horizons, Plettenberg Bay) Tel nr: 044-533 1621 Cell nr: 082 084 2636.
- Category: Lifetime Achievement Award Name: Ms Rosaline Makan Dellville Park Primary School (Lynx Street, Pacaltsdorp) Tel nr: 044-878 2300 Cell nr: 072 210 9109.
- Category: Excellence in Grade R Teaching Name: Ms Nomaweza Mangqwengqwe Ms Somikazi Mtya Ms Nomvume Sophazi Umnqophiso Pre-Primary School - Team (15573 Nonkqubela Street, Lwandle, Strand) Tel nr: 021-845 6305 Cell nr: 083 986 6744.
- Category: Excellence in Primary School Leadership Name: Mr Kevin Pretorius Rocklands Primary School (Capricorn Street, Rocklands, Mitchells Plain) Tel nr: 021-392 2010 Cell nr: 072 018 9440.
List of the provincial finalists of the awards. (MS Word document: 39.5 KB)