Work experience opportunities at the Department of Cultural Affairs and Sport
The YearBeyond (YeBo) is a youth service partnership between the Western Cape Government (WCG), the Community Chest of the Western Cape, the Michael and Susan Dell Foundation and numerous NGOs.
The Programme is run by the Youth and Afterschool Programme Office of the Department of Cultural Affairs and Sport.
YearBeyond provides participants with meaningful work experience and a pathway into studies or work, while encouraging a culture of active citizenship and volunteerism.
The Programme is made up of several different streams, in different areas of the Western Cape and different sectors of the provincial government.
- Planet Youth: Yeboneers selected for The Planet Youth Programme are trained to provide primary and high school learners in the Garden Route District town of George with life skills and psycho-social support through one-on-one and group activities. Applications closed on 13 January 2023
- Academic Support: The Academic Support Programme is designed as a catch-up intervention to assist learners in closing their foundational literacy and numeracy gaps. During the school day, Yeboneers support teachers and provide one-on-one paired reading support to the learners. After school, YeBoneers run a catch-up programme. Applications closed on 17 February 2023
- Scouting in Schools: Youth selected for the Scouting in Schools Programme receive training in scouting, outdoor survival, leadership and project management skills in order to run an After School Programme that is designed to promote an appreciation for nature and the environment, equip learners with life skills and encourage active citizenship. Applications closed on 17 February 2023
- Wellbeing Champions: Are you interested in a career in a healing profession and want to develop skills in empathic listening, self-awareness and supporting others to build their social and emotional wellbeing? Join the Wellbeing Champions Programme and provide youth and adults with a safe space to talk about their problems, free of judgement. As a YeBoneer you will provide listening services to people needing support at community hubs, police stations, clinics, hospitals and similar public spaces. Applications closed on 13 March 2023.
- Shukuma - Moving Mindsets: The Shukuma - Moving Mindsets programme aims to equip learners with social and emotional skills to regulate their emotions and slow down their responses to violence and respond in healthy, responsible ways. As a youth facilitator, you will receive training in the programme curriculum and facilitation skills, to help you deliver the programme with confidence. You will work with grade 8 learners in small groups. Applications closed on 13 March 2023.
- Early Childhood Development: The YearBeyond Early Childhood Development (ECD) Programme is being implemented in communities in the Western Cape. The aim of the programme is to develop, grow and support children in their educational development and holistic wellbeing. As a YeBoneer, for four days a week you will work with children and their caregivers in your local community. Applications closed on 13 March 2023.
- Libraries: The YearBeyond Libraries Programme offers young people the opportunity to serve their communities and learners in different ways. The Programme offers two streams of work. Youth can work as a Reading Champion or ICT Champion. Applications closed on 22 March 2023.
- @Homelearning: The @Homelearning Programme sees Yeboneers work with learners and their parents to promote a stronger culture of learning in homes. Yeboneers provide homework support, foundational literacy and numeracy assistance, and teach children how to make learning resources from recycled materials, amongst other tasks.
For more information about the YearBeyond Programme or to apply, please visit the official site.
The WCG also offers work experience through the First Work Experience PAY Programme. For more information, please click here to visit the official page.