War Veteran's Grants | Western Cape Government

War Veteran's Grants


If you 60 years or over and you served in the First World War (1914-1918), Second World War (1939-1945) or the Korean War (1950-53), you may get a war veteran's grant. You must be a citizen of South Africa and living in South Africa at the time of applying for the grant.

Only people whose financial situation is below a certain level can get the grant. The test to decide is called a means test. The means test changes every year and for the war veteran's grant and depends on your income, if you are not married and on the income of both you and your spouse if you are married.

As of 2018 the means test for the war veteran's grant for a person who is not married said that you cannot get the grant if your assets are worth more than R1 115 400 (a home that you own is not taken into account if you live in it). Your income must also be less than R78 120 per year.

If you are married, you cannot get the grant if your joint assets (the assets belonging to both you and your spouse together) are worth more than R2 230 800 (a house that either of you own is not taken into account if you live in it). Your joint income (yours plus your spouse's) must be less than R156 240 per year.

The amount of the war veteran's grant changes every year. As of 2018 it is R1 720 per month. If you cannot look after yourself and need full-time care from someone else, you may also apply for a Grant-In-Aid which you can get in addition to your war veteran's grant.


You can apply for the war veteran's grant by filling in an application form at your nearest Regional Office. You do not need to pay anything to make the application.

The application process should not take longer than two hours. You will be interviewed, have your fingerprints taken, and given information on whether you qualify for the grant. You will also need to show certain documents and provide some information, including:


  • South African identity document (ID), which must be bar-coded, and if you have a spouse, your spouse's ID.
  • your war service, which could be a certificate of war service or your war medals.
  • Information about your marital status:
    • If you are single, an affidavit stating that you are single.
    • If you are married, your marriage certificate.
    • If you are divorced, your divorce order.
    • If your spouse is dead, your spouse's death certificate.
  • Information about your income and assets:
    • If you are employed, your wage certificate.
    • If you are unemployed, your Unemployment Insurance Fund (UIF) 'blue book' or discharge certificate from your previous employer.
    • If you have a private pension, proof of the private pension.
    • If you have a bank account, your bank statements for three consecutive months.
    • If you have investments, information on the interest and dividends you earn.

If you cannot go to make the application yourself, a friend or family member can bring a letter from you and a doctor's note saying why you can't visit the office yourself. A home visit may then be arranged.

When you make the application, you should say how you would like the money to be paid. The money can be paid out in cash on specific days at a Pay Point, or you can get the money paid electronically into your bank account. Remember that normal bank charges can apply to any money going in and out of your bank account. You can decide to change the payment method at any time by filling in a form at a Regional Office, but the change will only happen a month later.

It will take about 30 working days for your application to be processed and checked and either approved or refused. If your application is refused you will get a letter explaining why it has been refused and how you can appeal.

If it is approved you will start getting payments within three months. The payments will be backdated to the day you applied for the grant. You can find out what has happened to your application and when you can expect payment by calling the South African Social Security Agency (SASSA) toll-free helpline on 0800 601 011.

The war veteran's grant will be cancelled if you die, if you are admitted to a state institution, or if your income or assets improve so much that you no longer qualify in terms of the means test. You must inform the Department of any changes in your circumstances.


Department of Social Development
South African Social Security Agency
Toll-free helpline: 0800 601 011 for information on:


  • Pay-out dates.
  • Qualifying rules for all government grants.
  • District office addresses and contact numbers.
  • For help with what has happened to your application.
  • How you can also report any fraud or corruption.
Provided by:
Government Body: (The Government of South Africa)
The content on this page was last updated on 21 November 2018