Vehicle clearance for engine and chassis changes | Western Cape Government

Vehicle clearance for engine and chassis changes


If your car's engine or chassis number has changed, you are required to get clearance before you can reregister the vehicle.


You first need to apply at a motor vehicle registering office for a Request for Police Clearance. Then you need to take your vehicle to a vehicle clearance unit of the South African Police Service where vehicle will be cleared.

As from 1 September 2012 it's compulsory for any motor vehicle presented for a South African Police Clearance to be fitted with microdots.

Provided by:
Government Body: (Western Cape Government)

There is no fee unless a new chassis or engine number needs to be embossed.

The content on this page was last updated on 25 June 2019