Traffic Fines: Frequently Asked Questions | Western Cape Government

22Covid-19 Alerts

COVID-19 Vaccine Information and Dashboard

View Vaccine information

TB Information and Dashboard

View TB information

Traffic Fines: Frequently Asked Questions


Each municipality handles traffic fines in its jurisdiction. It is your right to view speed-camera photos and contest in writing any traffic fine you may receive.

  1. What are the different kinds of traffic fines?
  2. How long do I have to pay a traffic fine?
  3. How do I contest a fine?
  4. What happens if I don't pay or contest my traffic fine?
  5. Where and how can I pay my traffic fine?

 What are the different kinds of traffic fines

You can get one of 2 kinds of fines, regardless of the traffic violation:

  1. A Section 56 notice is given to you by a traffic officer, usually for a moving violation. It has a court date on it.
  2. A Section 341 notice is sent to a motorist by post for violations caught on traffic camera or for traffic tickets issued in absence of the motorists (for example, for an expired licence disc). It doesn't have a court date on it ,but is a first notice before summons. The Traffic Department will issue a second notice before summons before actually issuing the summons.

How long do I have to pay a traffic fine?

A Section 56 notice means you have about 30 days to pay before your case goes to court.

A Section 341 notice is a notice before summons, not a summons itself. You usually get 2 notices before the summons is issued, after which you have about another 30 days to pay (or contest your fine in writing) before your case goes to court.

In total, you have approximately 3 months to pay a Section 341 ticket.

Please note that the exact length of time you have to pay a ticket varies from municipality to municipality. Check your ticket for the payment due date.

How do I contest a fine?

You can contest your traffic fine in writing with the municipal traffic department any time before a summons has been issued. Remember to send a copy of your traffic fine along with your letter.

The traffic department will respond to your challenge in writing. If you're not satisfied with the outcome, you can wait for your summons and send your challenge, in writing, to the traffic department again. The traffic department will then present this letter to the Prosecutor on your behalf. The Prosecutor then decides whether to prosecute, in which instance the case will go in front of a magistrate, or to drop the case.

Please note that writing a letter will not delay the process. If you don't reach an agreement by the court date, the case will appear in court.

What happens if I don't pay or contest my traffic fine?

If you don't pay or contest your traffic fine by the due date and don't appear in court to present your case, a warrant for your arrest will automatically be issued when the case goes to court.

Where and how can I pay my traffic fine?

All municipalities accept cheques and postal orders by post. For safety's sake, cash should be paid in person.

Some municipalities accept online bank transfers or have an online facility to view photos and make payments. Please refer to each municipality's Traffic Fines page, listed below, to find the best way to pay your fine and view speed-camera photos:

Municipalities in the Western Cape

Provided At: These facility categories:
Provided by:
Government Body:
The content on this page was last updated on 4 November 2019