Shelters for Women Who are Abused | Western Cape Government

22Covid-19 Alerts

COVID-19 Vaccine Information and Dashboard

View Vaccine information

Other COVID-19 Information and Dashboard

View COVID-19 information

TB Information and Dashboard

View TB information

Shelters for Women Who are Abused


A shelter is a place where victims of crime and violence are able to live for a period of 1 day up to approximately 3 months depending on the needs of the victims.

16 Days of ActivismThe shelter assists with meeting basic needs such as:

•    providing a safe place to live,
•    providing protection, food and
•    providing emotional support
     services such as trauma debriefing and therapeutic
•    providing information on developing skills, victim’s rights and capacity building,
•    providing support in preparation for court procedures,
•    providing programmes focused on alleged perpetrators and
•    providing gender based violence prevention programmes.

A shelter for victims of crime and violence does not provide statutory services to children; therefore shelters can't accommodate children without their parents/ legal guardians.

There are a number of shelters for abused women and their children in the Western Cape registered with the Department of Social Development.

Women in need of protection can contact a shelter directly, or ask a social worker at the nearest regional office of the Department, or your nearest police station for assistance in contacting a shelter.

Such women should also consider applying for a protection order.

Women who are being abused by persons addicted to drugs or alcohol may also consider applying to have their abuser committed to a drug treatment centre.

Should the abuser be known to have a licensed firearm, an application to have the firearm removed can also be considered.


Contact or go to a shelter directly, or ask for help on how to get to the nearest shelter at your nearest regional office or at your nearest police station.

Provided by:
Government Body: (Western Cape Government)
The content on this page was last updated on 28 December 2021