Reporting a Crime | Western Cape Government

Reporting a Crime


Reporting a crimeCrime affects us all. You can turn the tide on crime if you report any criminal activity that you’re aware of. You can report it anonymously to the police on the Crime-stop tip-offline 086 00 10111.

You can report a crime that has already happened at the nearest police station. In an emergency, call the emergency police telephone number 10111 from a landline,  or 112 from a cell phone. Keep this list of emergency numbers close by for easy access. 

What happens when I report my case to the police?

When you report a crime at your local police station, a police officer will assist you.

  • A police officer will interview you and take a statement from you.
  • A police officer will open a case docket, and the police will investigate the crime (you are reminded that the investigation of crime is a time-consuming process – therefore you need to allow a reasonable time for the crime to be investigated).
  • If police officers attend the crime scene, they’ll take a statement from you and witnesses.
  • A police officer will register the case on the SAPS Crime Administration System (CAS) at the police station.
  • You’ll receive a CAS number via SMS on your cell phone that will serve as your reference number for future enquiries regarding the criminal case.
  • The completed case docket is allocated to a police detective who’ll carry out the investigation.
  • Depending on the investigation, the police will arrest the suspects and a prosecutor form the National Prosecuting Authority will present the case to the court for prosecution.
  • The detective will inform you of any progress, including the date to attend the court hearings.

There are special considerations applicable in dealing with the following:

If you're a witness to a serious crime committed, and fear for your safety and that of your family members, you can apply for witness protection.  The Department of Justice manages the witness protection program. 

Provided At: These facility categories:
Provided by:
Government Body:
The content on this page was last updated on 2 September 2022