Replacing your senior certificate | Western Cape Government

Replacing your senior certificate


Completing your matric year is the start of a new, exciting chapter for you. You may decide to go to college or university, or you’ll start your career immediately. Your matric certificate is crucial no matter what decision you make about your future, so having the original is very important.  


If you wrote your examinations in the Western Cape and you’ve lost your matric certificate, you can apply for a duplicate certificate from the Western Cape Education Department

To apply for a replacement Senior Certificate (SC) or National Senior Certificate (NSC) download and complete the application form from WCED website: Application for the issue of Certificates/Diplomas.  You can also contact the Western Cape Education Department on 021 467 2000.

Where to apply

You can submit your request for a duplicate certificate at the enquiries counter of the Western Cape Education Department:

The street address for the Western Cape Education Department is: 

Young woman in libraryWestern Cape Education Department
Client Services
2nd Floor
Grand Central Building
Corner of Darling & Lower Parliament Street
Cape Town

If you don't live in Cape Town and you're unable to visit the WCED office, you can write to:

Western Cape Education Department
Private Bag X9114
Cape Town

Please visit the Western Cape Education Department’s website to find out what you'll need to apply.



Provided by:
Government Body: (Western Cape Government)

The cost of a statement of results is R45 and a copy of one of the following documents is R107:

  • junior
  • senior
  • ABET Level 4
  • technical certificate
  • teachers diploma
The content on this page was last updated on 22 February 2019