Menopause Care | Western Cape Government

Menopause Care

Women who start menopause prematurely (before 45 years of age) or who are in menopause and are experiencing uncomfortable symptoms, can have a gynaecological assessment and examination. Hormonal tests can be done to decide on treatment. Women can ask for counselling to decide on the best treatment option.
You can visit your local primary health care clinic, and depending on the problem, you may be referred to the gynaecological services at a regional or tertiary (Groote Schuur or Tygerberg) hospital for hormonal tests, further investigations and treatment.

You will need a referral to visit regional or tertiary hospitals where gynaecological services are offered. If you are a first-time visitor, you will have to fill out a form and a folder will be opened. Bring your ID and your clinic/hospital card if previously registered at the relevant facility.

Provided At: These facility categories:
Provided by:
Government Body: (Western Cape Government)
Services at primary health care facilities are free if you are not on a medical aid. If you are referred to a hospital, there may be a cost involved. The amount will depend on your earnings and number of dependents, according to the hospital rating scale. It may be necessary to pay for medication such as Hormone Replacement Therapy. The hospital will require a recent payslip/income assessment (IRP5).
The content on this page was last updated on 5 September 2013