Convert a Foreign Driving Licence


You can convert your foreign driving licence to a South African (SA) one:

  • If you obtained permanent SA residency.
  • If you obtained a foreign driving licence while living abroad.

You have to convert your foreign driving licence within five years from obtaining your permanent residency or resuming your residency. This is according to the National Road Traffic Act, 1996 of South Africa.


You need the following documents to convert your foreign driving licence to a South African one:

  • Passport.
  • Foreign Driving Licence.
  • Confirmation Letter.
  • SA Identity Document (ID).
  • Traffic Register Number Certificate or Foreign Identity Document if you do not have a South African ID.

You can apply for permission to convert a foreign driving licence at the Department of Transport and Public Works’ Driving Licence Helpdesk.

Contact Details

Street Address: Room 4, 1st Floor, 9 Dorp Street, Cape Town 8000


  • 021 483 2078
  • 021 483 2080
  • 021 483 2469
  • 021 483 6401

Twitter: @WCGovTPW

Provided At: These facility categories:
Provided by:
Government Body: (Western Cape Government)


R45 to obtain a temporary driving licence

The content on this page was last updated on 1 February 2018