City of Cape Town Informal Trading | Western Cape Government

22Covid-19 Alerts

COVID-19 Vaccine Information and Dashboard

View Vaccine information

TB Information and Dashboard

View TB information

City of Cape Town Informal Trading


Informal trading and hawking is controlled by the municipality. Informal traders are required to get trading permits and may only trade in specified areas. Traders hawking food products are also required to get a business licence and comply with local health standards.

The City of Cape Town Department of Economic Development has an Informal Trading function. It's focus is on the creation of an environment that helps informal traders to run their businesses in a way that ensures a positive relationship with the formal sector.

Find out more about how the City of Cape Town regulates informal trading by reading their Informal Trading Policy. In this document you will find detail on how trading locations are managed, the types of legal trading, operating hours, permits and licences, and the responsibilities of the traders. The policy provides a clear indication of what we expect from informal traders.



For more information you can contact Area Economic Development:

Or find an area office near you:

Area Address Contact number
Central Goodwood Administrative Building,
Corner of Voortrekker and De Villiers Roads, Goodwood
021 417 4043
East Block C, Stocks and Stocks, Khayelitsha 021 400 1345
North 44 Wale Street, Cape Town 021 400 5379
South Plumstead Municipal Office,
Corner of Victoria and Main Roads, Plumstead
021 400 5119


Provided by:
Government Body:
The content on this page was last updated on 13 September 2022