Winners Announced at Provincial Housing Excellence Awards
Winners for excellence in human settlements delivery have been announced at the 2015 Provincial Govan Mbeki Awards held at the Lagoon Beach Hotel in Milnerton, Cape Town on the evening of the 23 April. The awards were be hosted by the Western Cape Government Department of Human Settlements and Western Cape Human Settlements Minister Bonginkosi Madikizela.
In the 2014/2015 the Department set a target of 17 583 housing opportunities, which was exceeded with the delivery of 18 817 housing opportunities, consisting of 10 421 housing units against a target of 10 357, 11 732 service sites against a target of 6 211 and 1 164 other housing opportunities against a target of 1 015. This delivery also ensured that the entire 2014/2015 Human Settlements Delivery Grant allocation of R1 934 billion was spent. In addition, the Department received a clean audit opinion from the Auditor General for the first time since 1994, indicating that every cent spent was properly accounted for.
The exceptional performance in both service delivery numbers and financial accountability was only possible through the contributions and efforts of municipalities, contractors, developers and other stakeholders in the human settlements delivery chain, and it is these efforts that the Department is acknowledging through the 2015 Govan Mbeki awards. A recognition of excellence encourages further excellence, and it is within this culture of meritocracy that service delivery for the citizens of the Western Cape is continually improved.
Awards were given in the following categories.
Best Integrated Residential Development Programme:
- 2nd runner up: Klapmuts Project – Stellenbosh Municipality (Cape Winelands)
- 1st runner up: Abbotsdale Project – Swartland Municipality (West Coast)
- Winner: Kwanokuthula Project – Bitou Municipality (Eden)
Best Upgraded Informal Settlements Programme
- 1st runner up: Sidesaviwe Project - Theewaterskloof Municipality (Overberg)
- Winner: Railton Smartie Town Project – Swellendam Municipality (Overberg)
Best Project in Implementing Finance Linked Individual Subsidy Programme
- Winner: Pelican Park Project – City of Cape Town (Metro)
Best Enhanced People’s Housing Process Project
- 2nd runner up: Rondevlei Housing Project – City of Cape Town (Metro)
- 1st runner up: Fairylands Project – Drakenstein Municipality (Cape Winelands)
- Winner: Kwanonqaba Project– Mossel Bay Municipality (Eden)
Best Contractor in the Non- Subsidy Market
- Winner: Power Group – Pelican Park Project – City of Cape Town (Metro)
Best Community Residential Units
- 2nd runner up: Scottsdene Project– City of Cape Town (Metro)
- 1st runner up: Connaught Project– City of Cape Town (Metro)
- Winner: Kewtown Project – City of Cape Town (Metro)
Best Institutional Housing Project
- Winner: Harmony Village Project– City of Cape Town (Metro)
Best Social Housing Project
- Winner: Steenberg Project- City of Cape Town (Metro)
Best Woman Contractor
- Ms Fransina le Roux of Ukhana Projects CC
Ministers Merit Awards:
- PricewaterhouseCoopers for work on the Housing Data Demand Improvement Program
- Fairylands Project Steering Committee for excellence in community participation and partnership
- Ms Nandi Bulabula of Bulabula attorneys for the transfer of title deeds to beneficiaries in Bitou Municipality.
The Department wishes to congratulate all the winners of the different categories.