WCG and City extend condolences to family of LEAP Officer Magwa
It is with great sadness that we have been informed of the fatal shooting of a 25-year-old LEAP officer, following an attack on Thursday afternoon in Crossroads. Read more below:
The Western Cape Government (WCG) and City of Cape Town (CoCT) are shocked and deeply saddened to learn of the attack on an officer attached to the Law Enforcement Advancement Plan (LEAP).
Siphelo Magwa (25), who was off duty at the time of the incident, worked as a LEAP officer and was attached to the unit in Mitchells Plain. Preliminary reports suggest that he was sitting in a vehicle with his brother and one other person. Three men approached the vehicle and fired multiple rounds at them. Officer Magwa, his brother and the third person died on the scene.
The City’s Safety and Security Investigation Unit (SSIU) is assisting the South African Police Service (SAPS) with the investigation into the incident that took place on Thursday 18 May 2023 in Crossroads.
No arrests have yet been made.
Provincial Minister of Police Oversight and Community Safety, Reagen Allen said: “I have spoken to the family to convey my deepest and heartfelt condolences. My thoughts are also with officer Magwa’s friends and colleagues. It is unacceptable that officer Magwa, had to lose his life in such a horrific manner and at such a young age. I am deeply angered by the audacity of these criminals. Their actions are barbaric, and I condemn this incident in the strongest possible terms. I urge anyone with information to contact all law enforcement agencies, so that those who committed this heinous crime can immediately be arrested and prosecuted. No stone should be left unturned to find them.”
City’s Mayoral Committee Member for Safety and Security, Alderman JP Smith said: “This brazen attack is one that cuts deep upon the family of Cape Town's Safety and Security directorate. I can assure the family that we will unite as a directorate and combine all and every possible resource to bring these killers to justice. To the family within our directorate, an injury to one is an injury to all. Our members across the directorate have previously united in their commitment to making our City a safer place, but we must now unite in bringing to justice those that threaten our commitment to the cause.
MMC Smith added: “Almost immediately, a large amount of our SSIU investigators were deployed to the scene and have already begun gathering information. We will assist SAPS in bringing to justice those guilty of this heinous crime.”
Any person who witnessed the incident or who might have information that could lead to an arrest and conviction, is urged to please report it to SAPS or the City’s 24-hour tip off-line on 0800 110077.
Spokesperson for Minister Reagen Allen
082 721 3362 (m)