Services for Senior Citizens | Western Cape Government



Services for Senior Citizens

3 October 2013
The Western Cape Government recognises the need for care and service to older persons and, to make this possible, the 2013 budget for services for the elderly increased to R166 million, up from R154 million last year.
Through programmes driven by the Department of Social Development, the Western Cape Government funds 126 old age homes across the province.
Service centres for older persons are becoming increasingly popular among seniors and the Western Cape Government intends to fund more homes, in addition to the more than 200 centres that are currently operational across the Western Cape.
Other government services aimed at seniors include:
Elderly people often require specialised health services. These may have to be accompanied by other specialised services, such as housing or transport services.
Home Community-Based Care (HCBC) provides complete quality health services at home and in communities to help restore and maintain people's health standards and way of living by providing health services, supported self-care and health education at home.
If you are a woman or man 60 years or older and a South African citizen, you can get a monthly payment from the government called an old age grant. 
If you are already receiving an old age, disability or war veteran's grant and you are unable to care for yourself, to the point where you need full-time care from someone else, then you may get an additional monthly payment from the government called a grant-in-aid. You cannot get the grant-in-aid on its own; it must be in addition to one of these main grants.

For more information, contact the Department of Social Development.

Media Enquiries: 
Tel: 021 483 5045
Fax: 021 483 4783
DSD Hotline: 0800 220 250