Provincial Sporting Achievers Honoured at Sport Awards
On Tuesday, 23 March the Department of Cultural Affairs and Sport (DCAS) hosted a smaller version of its Annual Sport Awards.
Being mindful of the COVID regulations and the need for social distancing, the department hosted a small ceremony which honoured four sportspeople with Ministerial commendations, as well as bestowing Honour Roll awards on 21 individuals who passed away over the last year.
While the traditional Sport Awards usually offer 26 categories of nominations, the department decided to cut these down to only two categories due to the limitation placed on sporting activities under the COVID-19 pandemic and regulations. Chief Director of Sport and Recreation, Dr Lyndon Bouah, emphasized that it was still important to acknowledge the excellent work that was done in the sporting sphere over the past year, and also to honour those who had passed on.
Ministerial Commendations were bestowed on:
- Corne Bence - Western Cape Cycling
- Zelda Hansen - Sport Association for the Physically Disabled
- Mpumelelo Mlongo - Sport Association for the Physically Disabled
- Dr. Corena De Beer - Western Province Black Powder Shooting
- The MOD Program and The Neighbouring School Program – Collective acknowledgement for the many people involved in these programmes
- The Roll of Honour awards were collected by the family members of the recipients. The ceremony served to emphasize and celebrate the role of these recipients in growing sport in the province.
Minister Anroux Marais said that DCAS was privileged to be able to honor and recognize the nominated sports people with their families. “This morning we flip the script, this morning we celebrate our sport stars and their solid support base for collectively strengthening each other’s resolve to rise above the faced adversities to uplift the very communities they call home.” she said.
“Today, we also pay tribute to our fallen sport stars whom we have lost over this past year. The Western Cape Government is saddened by the passing of the sporting community’s greatest champions, and fondly remember their very significant contributions to sport in the province, country and the world at large. We are immensely grateful for all they have done for sport and recreation in our province and find comfort in the fact that although their presence surely will be missed their legacy will live on as inspiration for many young sportspeople to come” said Minister Marais about the Roll of Honour nominees.
A presentation with the names of all recipients can be viewed here.