Major Operations and Interventions for October Transport Month 2014
The Department of Transport and Public Works' Traffic Law Enforcement together with the Provincial Law Enforcement Technical Committee (LETCOM) and Safely Home planned a list of operational interventions for October Transport Month (OTM).
The focus this year is road safety for children:
- Crossing the road.
- Wearing a seatbelt.
- Behaviour in vehicles.
- Safety in public transport vehicles.
- Policing parents.
Operations to Be Monitored:
- Learner Transport Operations.
- Public Transport Operations.
- Freight Overload Management.
- Luxury Coach Operations.
- Long Distance Passenger Public Transport Operations.
- Metered Taxi Operations.
- Driver Vehicle Documentation.
- Commuter Bus Operations.
- Pedestrian/Commuter Safety.
- Driving under the influence of alcohol.
- Impaired driving.
Operation and Intervention Calendar for OTM 2014
|1||Ikhwezilesizwe Primary School, Khayelitsha||Safe Kids Day|
|2||Beaufort West||Freight/Fatigue Management|
|6-9||Queens Park High school, Woodstock||Learner Licence Classes|
|7||Du Noon||Pedestrian Awareness|
|7-10||Mpumalanga||National Debate and PET Competitions|
|7-10||Mfuleni||Learner Licence Classes|
|9||Thibalt Square||Defensive Driving Workshop|
|10||Emfuleni-Main Taxi Rank||Driver and Passenger Safety Campaign ( a mobile truck will be used as a tool to interact with drivers).|
|11||Mfuleni Primary School||Pedestrian Safety Visibility Project|
|14-17||Manenberg||Learner Licence Classes|
|14/15||Somerset West||Learner Transport|
|16/17||Mossel Bay||Learner Transport|
|21||Swellendam/ Beaufort West/ Vredenburg/ Vredendal/ Rawsonville/ Somerset West||Freight operations impaired driving|
|21||Khayelitsha||ESKOM Driver Skills Awareness|
|22||Moorreesburg Weighbridge||Long Distance Passenger Public Transport Operations|
|23||Promenade Mitchells Plain||Pedestrian Awareness (partnering with the City of Cape Town Traffic-Central)|
|24||Kalkbay||Pedestrian Awareness (partnering with City of Cape Town Traffic-South)|
|27||Achtertuin and Nduli Primary Schools, Ceres||Road Safety Education Awareness with Danny Cat character.|
|28||Morrisdale and Ceres Primary Schools, Ceres||Road Safety Education Awareness with Danny Cat character.|
|29||Mooi Uitsig and St Marks Primary Schools, Ceres||Road Safety Education Awareness with Danny Cat character.|
|31||Joostenbergvlakte||Long Distance Passenger Public Transport Operations.|
Traffic law enforcement operations are planned with all local autorities, provincial traffic centres, the South African Police Services (SAPS) and other operational partners.
The department will:
- monitor learner transport operations and school excursions with public transport vehicles closely.
- continue its weekend alcohol blitzes on identified routes with a special focus on public transport vehicle drivers.
- monitor the use of safety belts, especially those fitted to public transport vehicles, for legal compliance.
- conduct special operations regarding metered taxi operations and the display of illegal taxi signs.
- prioritise commuter safety in all buses, taxis and other public transport vehicles.
- continue its fatigue management operations on the N1 and Aberdeen Road and address visible driver fatigue at roadside activities on the identified routes.
Read more on OTM 2014