Don’t wait! 2024 school admissions process has begun
Applications for school admissions in the 2024 school year opened this morning at 00h01.
As of 10h30 this morning, we had already received over 4 600 applications. We are pleased that so many parents are prioritising their child’s schooling by making sure that they apply on time.
The online application process will be open from 00h01 on 13 March 2023 to 23h59 on 14 April 2023.
Our admissions website is a free service, that is zero-rated so you do not need data to access it.
We have also arranged 114 pop-up admission sites at shopping malls, schools and other facilities, in all 8 education districts to help parents and caregivers who do not have access to internet facilities or need assistance applying online.
Please visit: https://wcedonline.westerncape.gov.za/admissions-202324 to view where and when these services are available in your area!
The following certified documents will be required for all applications:
- The last official school Report Card
- Proof of identity:
- ID, Birth certificate, or passport of the learner,
- In the case of a foreign learner: a passport, or a study permit or proof of application for a study permit, or a copy of the parent’s Asylum seeker or Refugee Permit
- OR A police affidavit if these documents are not available
- Immunisation card (Road to Health Chart) [Primary Schools only]
- Proof of Residence (Rates account, Lease agreement, an affidavit confirming residence).
You can certify copies of your documents at any police station or post office. Keep these copies together, as you will need to submit the hard copies later this year to the final school your child is accepted to.
Information on how to apply, with step-by-step registration and application guidelines and videos are available on the WCED website: https://wcedonline.westerncape.gov.za/admissions-202324
We understand that this is a stressful period for parents, and that the application process can seem daunting.
Here are some tips for parents:
- Apply early – don’t wait until the last day of the applications window.
- Apply to more than one school.
- Check the admissions policies of the schools to which you would like to apply.
- Remember that schools may not use their own forms or online systems for applications and may not request any additional information from parents that is not in line with the South African Schools Act, the Admissions Policy for Public Ordinary Schools, or the POPI Act.
You can find answers to Frequently Asked Questions about the admissions process here:
- Parents who are unable to complete their applications today, or encountered technical difficulties, should not be alarmed – they have a whole month in which to apply. There is no preference given to those that apply in the first few days, as opposed to next week. The important thing is to ensure that you apply before 14 April 2023.
- Schools cannot access the data to see what order of preference parents have listed their school when submitting applications. They will not be informed if their particular school is 1st, 3rd or 7th on the parents list.
- If you have any concerns or questions about the online system, please pop these in the “Query” box on the admissions website, and one of our officials will assist you as soon as possible.
Don’t wait! Apply for a school for your child today.
Spokesperson to Minister David Maynier
Western Cape Ministry of Education