Central Karoo Sports Academy bags five medals at Knysna Oyster Festival
Central Karoo Sports Academy bags five medals at Knysna Oyster Festival cross country
The Central Karoo Sport Academy took home no less than five medals at the recent Knysna Oyster Festival cross country in June.
The Knysna Oyster Festival is one of the biggest cross-country events in the Western Cape, and athletes must compete at this event to qualify for the Athletics South Africa cross country championships that takes place in Pretoria later in the year.
A total of five athletes from the academy took part in several different age group categories, with three winning gold and two taking home silver medals.
The prize winners were:
- Mursha Robbenson, who won gold in the under-14 girls 4km category
- Yulenda Goeieman, who won silver in the under-15 girls 4km category
- Berdine Kolela, who won silver in the under-16 girls 4km category
- Malvin Visser, who won gold in the under-17 boys 6km category
- Waldo Kaptein, who won gold in the under-19 boys 8km category
The Central Karoo Sport Academy supported the athletes with high performance training, physiological support, equipment and nutrition.
The Beaufort West institution is an initiative of the Department of Cultural Affairs and Sport (DCAS) and is one of seven sports academies in the Western Cape.
The others are the:
- Overberg District Academy in Bredasdorp
- West Coast District Academy in Saldanha
- Eden District Academy in George
- Cape Winelands Academy in Paarl
- Cape Metropolitan Academy in Cape Town
- Western Cape Sports Academy in Cape Town
DCAS works to provide sport and recreation opportunities across the Western Cape, building better communities and better athletes, BETTER TOGETHER.