Apprenticeship Opportunities at Transport and Public Works
Are you between 18 and 35 years of age, reside in the Western Cape, and would like to pursue a trade in the Construction Industry?
The Western Cape Department of Transport and Public Works (TPW) is offering an opportunity to learn through its Skills Development Programme apprenticeships in the following:
- Air conditioning and refrigeration
- Construction and carpentry
- Electrical wiring
- Construction masonry and plastering
- Construction plumbing
- Construction painting
- Construction tiling
- Construction plant operator
- Construction floor covering
- Construction welding
- Road works
To qualify applicants must meet the age requirement, must live in the province, be in possession of a valid Identity Document, must have a qualification of at least a Grade 10 or equivalent Recognition of Prior Learning, must attend the compulsory briefing session, and must be willing to enter into a one year National Youth Service Programme.
Past experience in a construction industry trade such as bricklaying, plumbing, plastering, carpentry and so forth will be beneficial.
The closing date for applications is 17 October 2014.
Persons with a disability who meet the above criteria may apply.
The Manager: Skills Development at TPW Ferdie Jacobs says his department has invested many years and significant resources into its Skills Development Programme.
“We know that a career in a trade can provide the youth with a promising future in a secure, well-paid occupation. Apprentices learn occupational skills in the classroom and their learning is expanded to include hands-on, on the job training.
“Some of the benefits of this programme include the opportunity to learn while you earn, quality accredited training, career advancement opportunities, a monthly pay and safe learning conditions,” Mr Jacobs said.
For interviews or media enquiries please contact Ferdie Jacobs at 021 483 53 29 or 021 483 854.
- Those in the Metro Region who would like to apply can contact the Western Cape Government Centre at 0860 142 142.
- Those in the West Coast Region who would like to apply can contact Gcobani Zinganto at 072 076 7227
- Those in the Cape Winelands Region who would like to apply can contact Suzi Theto at 023 312 1120.
- Those in the Overberg Region who would like to apply can contact Nolan van Rhodie at 078 803 6364.
- Those in the Central Karoo region who would like to apply can contact Ngwanathole Nong at 023 414 2696.
Download the application form.
These learnerships were advertised in the different Western Cape regions.
Head of Communication
Department of Transport and Public Works
Tel: 021 483 9653
Cell: 083 383 3317