What to do When You Get a Traffic Fine | Western Cape Government

What to do When You Get a Traffic Fine

(Western Cape Government)

motorist-pulled-over.jpgWhen you drive on public roads, you have a responsibility to obey traffic officers and the rules of the road. This is to ensure the safety of all road users.

Traffic fines are usually issued when you have ignored the rules of the road, which includes your vehicle's roadworthiness.
If you happen to receive a fine it will be one of the following:
  • Section 56 notice is issued by a traffic officer, usually for moving violantions, and it has a court date on it.
  • 341 Traffic ticket will be issued to you, as a motorist, if you are caught violating traffic rules by cameras. A speeding ticket is an example of this. This fine can also be issued to you by a traffic officer when you are not in your vehicle, this is the pink ticket you come back to when you are parked on a red line or have an expired car disk for example. The Traffic Department will issue a second notice before issuing a summons.

On the 56 Section fine, you will receive a date by when you have to pay for the fine. You will then have 30 days to pay this fine before your case is sent to court. A 341 ticket allows you 30 days to pay the fine before a summons is sent to you to appear in court. 

To find out if you have a traffic fine, you can call the Traffic inquiries office on weekdays between 08:00 and 15:30 on 0860 034 637.  To get a printed version of your fine, you will have to visit the traffic department in person.

Remember, if you move or your contact details change, you can update your details by faxing your new address and a copy of your ID to Motor Vehicle Registrations on 021 419 1676. Mark it for the attention of the Correspondence Department. If you need more clarity, call the Motor Vehicles Registrations office on 0860 103 089.

Checking Your Traffic Fine

If you receive a 341 traffic fine and would like to view the speed camera photo, you can view this online if your traffic fine number starts with a “9” or “4”.  To view the photos, you will need to know the following:

  • The municipal district in which the picture was taken.
  • Your vehicle’s registration number.
  • The film number (this appears on the traffic fine).

If your traffic fine number starts with a “2”, your speed camera photo can only be viewed at the  following traffic departments; Parow, Oostenberg, Helderberg, Milnerton, South Peninsula and Cape Town, between 08:30 and 15:00.

Contesting Your Traffic Fine 

There are two ways in which you can contest your fine. The first is to send a letter, stating your reasons, to the Gallows Hill Traffic Department. This letter must be accompanied with a copy of your fine. You can also fax this letter to 086 201 2154 / 086 293 8189.

Violations that take place in other areas are dealt with by the relevant municipality's Traffic Department. A list of the local municipalities along with their contact details is available under local government on the Western Cape Government’s website.

Your letter will then sent by the Traffic Manager to the relevant court, where it will be received by the Public Prosecutor at the court, who will review your fine and send it back to the Traffic Manager. The entire process takes up to six weeks.

The other option is for you to contact the Public Prosecutor directly at the court that appears on your fine. If you have received summons you should contact the Public Prosecutor before the date you are due to appear in court.

traffic-officer-issuing-fine.jpgPaying the fine
  • If you are paying your fine before the due date, you can pay the fine by cheque, cash or postal order. If you are paying by cheque, make it out to City of Cape Town

Alternatively you can do the following:

  • Pay online.
  • Payment can be made at the traffic department. (find the address at Municipal Traffic Departments) or mail to: Private Bag X019, Roggebaai, 8012.
  • If you are a First National Bank customer, you can also pay your fine at any FNB ATM using your fine reference number.

Due to high levels of fraud and theft, it is not advised that you send cash via the Post Office.

If you wish to pay on or after the due date, you can do so by cash or bank-guaranteed cheque at the court mentioned on the fine (find the address at Municipal Courts). You will have to make the payment in person no later than 13 days after the due date. On the 14th day, your case will appear in court.


Sometimes mistakes happen and you may incorrectly receive a traffic fine that was meant for someone else. You should not simply ignore this fine. Send a letter to the Traffic Manager at the Gallows Hill Traffic Department explaining your situation.

If you do not address the fine and not appear in court, a warrant for our arrest will be issued automatically and you will be charged for being in contempt of court.

The content on this page was last updated on 8 February 2016