Explore the West Coast
The West Coast of our province is a beautiful place to visit and stretches from Cape Town as far as the border with the Northern Cape at Touws River.
Only a few hours’ drive from Cape Town, the West Coast is known for its glistening windswept beaches, heritage fishing villages, rich geographical diversity and its beautiful succulents and spring wildflowers.
The West Coast district has 5 local municipalities:
The Berg River Estuary is a haven for bird-watchers, fishermen and sailing enthusiasts. It’s here where the meandering Berg River flows into the Atlantic and also the finish-line of the annual Berg River Canoe Marathon.
The Cederberg region offers a rich natural heritage, fruit-filled valleys and towering mountains. This is also Rooibos tea country, being the only place in the world where this healthy beverage is grown.
The Namaqua West Coast region borders the Atlantic Ocean to the west and includes Sandveld, Knersvlakte and the Matzikama Mountain range.
For many, Saldanha Bay typifies the West Coast with its quaint fishing villages, sea-side resorts and ever popular lagoon. Fishing and water sports are popular attractions throughout the region.
The Swartland region is known as the gateway to the West Coast and is best known for its yellow wheat fields and vivid green vineyards.
Cape West Coast is a seafood mecca and boasts a number of beach-front restaurants which offer an abundance of seafood fresh from the sea.
Local cuisine include snoek, mussels and crayfish and ‘bokkoms’ (salted mullet strung up in bunches and left to dry). When visiting the West Coast region be sure to check out these local restaurants and markets.
The West Coast is a nature and water-sport enthusiasts dream.
- West Coast National Park is a paradise for hikers, cyclists and mountain bikers and nature-lovers alike.
- Bird Island is one of only 6 sites where Cape gannets breed in the world and gives shelter to thousands of cormorants and penguins and Cape fur seals.
- Explore the Cederberg wilderness.
- Learn about the fascinating culture, heritage and modern-day life of the San of southern Africa at the !Khwa ttu San Culture and Education Centre in Yzerfontein.
- Experience one of the world’s most spectacular wild flower and orchid shows in Darling during the spring season.
- Sunnypark Langebaan is a popular theme park for kids and features activities such as water slides, a game centre and go-cart racing.
- Whale and dolphin watching.
- Visit the West Coast Fossil Park. A museum built around an ongoing excavation which showcases 200 different kinds of animals, many of them new to science.
Be a tourist in your own province and experience the beauty of the West Coast region.
With the Atlantic Ocean as its western border, the Cape West Coast boasts many pristine, sandy white beaches.
- Visit the unspoilt beaches of the West Coast.
- Explore the diverse flora and fauna of the West Coast while hiking up the beautiful mountains.
- Pack a picnic basket or enjoy a braai at one of these top spots.