Vehicle Roadworthy Testing | Western Cape Government

Vehicle Roadworthy Testing

What is vehicle roadworthy testing?

A roadworthy test determines whether a vehicle is safe to drive or not. A vehicle that passes will be awarded a Certificate of Roadworthiness (CoR). The test is a safety examination only and isn't a comprehensive technical examination. The various aspects of the vehicle that must be tested, together with the standards deemed acceptable, are prescribed by law.

The minimum standards to which a vehicle must conform are defined in a South African Bureau of Standards (SABS) Code of Practice, SANS 10047, "The testing of motor vehicles for roadworthiness". You can buy a copy from the SABS at Private Bag X191, Pretoria, 0001. Call 012 428 7911 or visit

Why should I have my vehicle tested?

If you keep your vehicle in peak condition you will:

  • ensure your safety on the road,
  • reduce your overall motoring costs, and
  • identify potential hazards and save money by preventing additional damage before it happens.

How do I get my vehicle tested?

  1. Go to the nearest vehicle testing station with the following:
    • Vehicle's registration certificate.
    • Identity document (ID).
    • Prescribed fee.
  2. Complete the Application for Certification of Roadworthiness (ACR) form.

Where should I get my vehicle tested?

At any Motor Vehicle Testing Centre

When should I get my vehicle tested?

  • If you are the owner or operate a private vehicle with a gross vehicle mass less than 3 500 kg (mainly cars and bakkies) you are not required to obtain an annual CoR. The only time you must obtain a CoR, by law, is during a change of ownership.
  • If you are the owner or operate a vehicle with a gross vehicle mass greater than 3 500 kg (mainly trucks and buses) or one less than 3 500 kg that you operate for reward (mainly light delivery vehicles, taxis and minibus taxis), you are required by law to obtain a CoR every 12 months, except for buses. Owners or operators of buses are required to obtain a CoR every 6 months.
  • A roadworthy test must be conducted every time a vehicle changes ownership. The test, which is a legal requirement, takes 30 minutes and ensures vehicles meet the safety standards defined by the SABS.
  • No registration certificates or vehicle licences will be issued to new owners without valid roadworthy certificates.

How much does it cost?

Contact your local licencing office for the price.

Forms to complete

ACR forms are available at your nearest testing station or you can download them from the eNaTIS website.

Sources: Department of Transport and Public Works, eNaTiS, The AA of South Africa

The content on this page was last updated on 6 August 2018