Safety tips while shopping
- Shop during the day if possible. If you must shop at night, ensure that a friend or family member accompanies you.
- Avoid wearing expensive jewellery.
- Even though you're in a rush, always be aware of your surroundings.
- Avoid carrying large amounts of cash.
- Pay for purchases with a credit or debit card if possible.
- If your credit card is lost, stolen or misused, notify your bank immediately.
- Keep a record of your credit card numbers in a safe place.
- Be extra careful if you carry a wallet or purse. They're the prime targets of criminals in crowded shopping areas, transportation terminals, bus stops, on buses and other rapid transit.
- Avoid overloading yourself with packages. It's important to have clear visibility and freedom of motion to avoid accidents.
- Beware of strangers approaching you for any reason. Con artists try various methods of distracting you with the intention of taking your money or belongings.
- Safety tips for your motor vehicle
- Safety tips for using an ATM
- Safety tips while shopping
- Safety tips for your home
- Strangers at your door
The content on this page was last updated on 8 September 2022