Sustainable Transport in the Workplace
October is Transport Month, making it the perfect time to start travelling smart. This year's theme is Transport: Moving the Economy Forward. In the Western Cape, the Department of Transport and Public Works will highlight the following achievements during Transport Month:
- MyCiti Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) System
- The revamped Cape Town Train Station
- The upgraded Nyanga Junction
- The improved Cape Town International Airport
Transport Month was first launched in October 2005 with the aim to:
- Raise awareness of the important role of transport in the economy.
- Invite civil society and business to participate in providing a safer, more affordable, accessible and reliable transport system for the country.
The Travel SMART Programme aims to reduce the following:
- Single occupancy vehicles
- Vehicle emissions (which contribute to climate change and poor air quality)
- Costs for commuters
- Congestion on our roads
Travel SMART provides information to commuters on alternative options for sustainable transport:
- Public transport (How to use bus, minibus taxis and trains, timetables, routes, tariffs etc.).
- Active mobility (How to be a smart cyclist or pedestrian, cycling lanes etc.).
- How to form or join a lift club (Find fellow smart lift clubbers, know the legalities of a lift clubbing etc).
- Becoming a SMART Driver (you will be "fuelish" not to).
The programme has been selected as one of the flagship projects for the WCG’s 110% Green Campaign, which was launched on World Environment Day in 2012. Through this campaign, the City has committed to work with the WCG and its other partners to facilitate a shift towards more sustainable travel behaviour.
In 2012 Metrorail’s “Programme of Action” initiative, Metrorail Western Cape, in partnership with various stakeholders, launched GoMetro – a digital resource for commuters to have more control in their journey when travelling on Metrorail trains in the Western Cape.
The GoMetro mobile app allows the commuter to take control of their transport experience, by providing a mobile travel companion. The mobile website delivers train schedules, updates, announcements and other important information to the commuter – all via their mobile phone.
All delays or changes to the published train schedules are updated immediately, so the commuter will always know where they stand and how to plan their movements. As safety and security is always a top priority, the GoMetro service assists the commuter to plan their train travel and arrive safely at their destination.
Watch how GoMetro helps commuters save time and offering mobile travel solutions to our citizens:
The George Municipality, with the support of the Western Cape Government, has negotiated a 12-year contract with the respective company, in line with national government policy.
For more information, please see the Operator Information Booklet and George Integrated Public Transport Network Presentation.
There are also many other smart and sustainable ways to travel, so take the time to find an alternative that suits your lifestyle and together we will look after our environment, save energy, and reduce carbon emissions.
Let’s make the smart choice and be better together by showing that the Western Cape Government, along with all citizens, can make the shift to a greener economy.