State of the Province Address 2022
In the run up to the State of the Province Address (SOPA) Premier Alan Winde visited the town of Velddrif to meet and engage with the community, and to listen to their ideas and concerns. On Tuesday 15 February, Premier Winde will deliver the State of the Province Address (SOPA) at the Velddrif Town Hall, Voortrekker Road, at 10:45am.
"It was my great pleasure to visit this scenic town to engage with members of the community. I also engaged with the local Executive Mayor Alderman Ray van Rooy and Municipal Manager Adv. Hanlie Linde to discuss important issues affecting the area", said Premier Winde.
"I am looking forward to the SOPA taking place in Velddrif this year and I am very encouraged by the development of new infrastructure here. We know the pandemic has taken a significant toll on us all, and we have particularly seen this in small towns such as Velddrif whose tourism and hospitality was hard hit".
What is the State of the Province Address (SOPA)?
- The State of the Province Address is a speech made by the Premier or provincial head.
- The event usually marks the official opening of the Provincial Parliament.
- The speech is delivered in front of members of the provincial executive, including the Speaker, Deputy Speaker and the Secretary.
This year the SOPA will focus on:
- job creation,
- promoting the dignity and wellbeing of our residents, and
- promoting and improving safety - focussing on what we will be doing in the fight against GBV.
Watch SOPA live!
The SOPA will mark the official opening of the Western Cape Provincial Parliament (WCPP).
A live feed will simultaneously be streamed at the WCPP Chamber, 7 Wale Street, Cape Town. Some Members of the Provincial Legislature will also participate using the online platform.
Due to COVID-19 regulations only a limited number of people can attend.
The SOPA debate and reply by the Premier will take place in the same venues and on the same platforms on 16 February. The SOPA debate, starting at 09:30 am can be viewed here and the Premier’s reply to the SOPA debate, starting at 14:00, can be viewed here.