South African National Parks Week 2019
You can explore your local national park for free during the annual South African National Parks (SANParks) Week from 8 - 15 September 2019. SANParks wants you to #LiveYourWild by making use of this opportunity. SA National Parks Week is extended to include weekends this year.
According to Fundisile Mketeni, SANParks Chief Executive Officer, South Africans need to visit and understand the importance of national parks. The parks act as spaces where sustainable conservation can be practiced and help to preserve and celebrate our culture and heritage. “We now see national parks playing the critical role of empowering communities living adjacent to parks through job creation and we continue to explore ways of creating business opportunities particularly for small business owners”, he said.
Make use of the opportunity that SANParks Week provides and explore a park closest to you:
- Agulhas National Park
- Bontebok National Park
- Table Mountain National Park
- Tankwa-Karoo National Park
- West Coast National Park
- Garden Route National Park
The West Coast National Park is in their flower season, so quotas will be implemented over the weekend, limiting the entrance to 500 people.
The week grants free access to all South Africans with green barcoded IDs to most of the 21 National Parks for day visitors, however, there are a few exceptions, namely:
- Namaqua National Park
- Boulders Beach Penguin Colony and Table Mountain Aerial Cableway (both within Table Mountain National Park)
The free access to the parks won’t include:
- Any commercial activities in the park such as guided safaris in vehicles or guided walks, etc.
Some ideas of what to see and do in theparks in the Western Cape during SANParks Week 2019:
- You can enter the Newlands, Tokai and Oudekraal picnic sites for free to enjoy a family picnic or braai during the national park’s week.
- Agulhas National Park will host a circular walk from Monday, 9 September to Saturday, 14 September. The walk will start at the Lighthouse to the Southernmost Tip and it includes a new stretch along the ridge above the Southern Tip. On Saturday, 14 September, an international coastal clean-up will also be open to the public.
- It’s currently flower season and the West Coast National Park is in full bloom! Have something to eat at Geelbek restaurant and then head off to experience the colourful carpets of wildflowers. The West Coast National Park will be hosting different organisations each day.
- The Bontebok National Park will be hosting guided tours for different community organisations including an old age group and an orphanage group.
For more information, please contact:
South African National Parks (SANParks)
Tel: 012 426 5000
SANParks week Metrorail / Cape Point transport deal
Metrorail and their preferred bus-service provider HGTS Tours will look after your transport needs. They’re offering daily return train-trips from Cape Town to Simons Town, on their four-coach exclusive train followed by a luxury-coach journey to Cape Point for the duration of SA National Parks Week.
The cost of the transport package is R130 per adult and R100 per learner and educator. Children under the age of 3 travel free.
Things to do at Cape Point:
- Ride the funicular.
- Visit the old lighthouse.
- Walking trail to Upper Lighthouse.
- Lighthouse Keepers walk.
- Visit the Two Oceans Restaurant.
- Visit Vasco Da Gama and Bartholomeu Dias monuments.
- Whale and birdwatching.
- Visit Cape of Good Hope.
For enquiries and booking information contact:
Cape Nature Access Week
In celebration of Tourism Month and Heritage Month, access to Cape Nature’s reserves will be free from 23 – 29 September 2019.
The free day access will only apply at the reserve gates and excludes online bookings or those done through the call centre. General access will include hiking, mountain biking and picnicking but not horse riding, canopy tours, the Whale Trail, etc.
For more information contact:
Tel: 087 087 9262
For individual park dates please visit:
South African National Parks Week events