Shape your engineering career | Western Cape Government

Shape your engineering career

(Western Cape Government)


Once you’ve decided you want to become an engineer, the next step is to find the best way to get there. This includes choosing high school subjects that will qualify you to enter an engineering programme at a higher education institution (HEI).

To apply for full degree study in the University of Cape Town’s Faculty of Engineering and the Built Environment, for example, you'll need satisfactory results in mathematics, chemistry and/or physics in the final year of school. 

The Department of Transport and Public Works through its Masakh’iSizwe Bursary Programme offers aspiring engineers the chance to realise their goals through its financial and non-financial support during study and after graduation.

How to apply for the bursary

  1. Look out for the advertisements calling for applications in newspapers and on the internet (usually in May).
  2. Complete and submit the application form before the due date.

You are responsible for applying for admission to study engineering at one of these HEIs and for applying for on-campus student accommodation.

Student support

Students can take advantage of the different support channels the Programme offers:

  • Mentoring: Social adjustment,
  • Mentoring: Academic support,
  • Employability skills,
  • Leadership programme,
  • Outreach programme, and
  • Student health and wellness.

Read more about these student support initiatives.

Professional registration

Graduates will enjoy the benefit of learning and mentoring opportunities coordinated and facilitated by the Department's Professional Development Programme. These opportunities help graduate engineers meet the requirements for professional registration.

Read more:

Professional registration for engineers is a must if you would like to:

  • perform consulting engineering work,
  • take responsibility for the performance of engineering work,
  • perform certain functions described in certain laws and regulations (e.g. the National Building Regulations), and
  • apply to become a full member of certain recognised professional institutes.

Engineering professional registration categories:

  • Professional Engineer (Pr Eng).
  • Professional Engineering Technologist (Pr Tech Eng).
  • Professional Certificated Engineer (Pr Cert Eng).
  • Professional Engineering Technician (Pr Eng Techni).

Read more about engineering registration on SA Government’s website.

Watch: Working Together at the Western Cape Government

Read more about careers at the Department of Transport and Public Works:

The content on this page was last updated on 9 February 2016