Road Safety Management
The Department of Transport and Public Works aims to reduce the amount of people injured and killed on the Western Cape's roads through, among other methods, its innovative road safety awareness and education campaigns and programmes.
The Department's Road Safety Management directorate:
- Offers road safety education and awareness programmes and projects across the province.
- Provides driver education and training.
- Facilitates roadside communication at roadblocks.
- Distributes road safety products (pamphlets for targeted road user groups).
- Facilitates high school debates.
- Offers Danny Cat shows.
- Runs Participatory Education Techniques (research projects).
- Establishes scholar patrols and seatbelt convincer demonstrations.
Road Safety Management highlighted pedestrian safety in November as part of its road safety calendar.
View the pedestrian safety pamphlet:
Danny Cat for Child Pedestrian Safety
View the Danny Cat child pedestrian safety pamphlet:
The Department’s Safely Home campaign is considered the Western Cape Government's driver of road safety. The Department hopes to change road user behaviour through Safely Home’s creative campaigns which target specific groups of road users at different times throughout the year.
Recent Safely Home Campaigns
- Crash Witness Video
- Vroom vroom child pedestrian radio advert (IsiXhosa audio)
- Child car seat drive with KFM
- #PayDayBlues on Twitter
View more Safely Home campaigns
Watch: Streetiquette, Gogo crossing Plein Street Pedestrian Crossing
Follow Safely Home on Twitter: @WCGovSafelyHome