Rental Housing Tribunal
The Rental Housing Tribunal provides a free service to tenants and landlords in the Western Cape.
Did you know?
- You can use any of the following channels to register for your WCG e-Portals Account:
- You can now register your Rental Housing complaint online
- You can update you details online?
- You can also view and track the progress of your complaint online?
Formed in 2001, the tribunal is comprised of five members (including a chair and vice-chairperson) appointed by the Provincial Minister of Human Settlements, who each have expertise in property management, housing development and consumer matters about rental housing.
The tribunal is assisted by the Support Component of the Directorate Housing Settlement.
The tribunal seeks to:
- Harmonise relationships between landlords and tenants in the rental housing sector.
- Resolve disputes that arise due to unfair practices.
- Inform landlords and tenants about their rights and obligations in terms of the Rental Housing Act.
- Make recommendations to relevant stakeholders.
Its objectives are:
- To promote stability in the rental housing sector in the Western Cape.
- To create mechanisms to deal with disputes in the rental housing sector.
- To facilitate, investigate, mediate and conduct hearings to resolve disputes.
- To inform landlords and tenants of their rights and obligations should unfair and unlawful practices arise.
Other types of disputes dealt with by the tribunal include:
- Failure to adequately maintain the rental property.
- Unlawful repossession of property and unlawful evictions.
- Failure to accept notice and to vacate the premises.
- Unlawful notices to vacate.
- Unilateral changes to lease agreements.
- Failure to provide monthly statements or issue receipts.
- Unlawful seizure of possessions.
- Failure to provide municipal services.
Hearings and mediations are held as close to the point of complaint as possible.
Contact details for enquiries
Contact Centre: 0860 106 166
Please Call Me: 079 769 1207
SMS: Help to 31022
For all general enquiries
For dispute related enquiries
Submit all complaint forms, annexures and a copy of your lease agreement to
Telephone: 021 483 5020 / 6495 / 3283
Fax: 021 483 3313
Download the Rental Housing Tribunal brochure to learn more about the Tribunal services, rights of landlords and tenants, as well as eviction processes.