Re-marking and supplementary matric exams
If you didn't pass your 2018 National Senior Certificate (NSC) exams you may qualify to rewrite certain examinations. You can also apply to have your exam paper re-marked or rechecked. Applications close on Tuesday, 22 January 2019.
You qualify to write supplementary examinations if the following applies:
- You need a maximum of 2 of your subjects to pass.
- You were unable to write for medical reasons (you need to attach a report from your principal).
- There was a death in your immediate family, or other special reasons why you could not write.
- You provide evidence that you need a better result to qualify to study at university or college, or to meet requirements for a specialist field of study or work.
- You may register provisionally to rewrite while the department investigates any irregularity regarding your exam.
- You'll need to rewrite all the exams of the subjects you register for.
- You can only write supplementary exams if you were registered to write the NSC 2018 examination in the Western Cape.
- You must ensure that you know where you must write your exam because the number of exam venues are limited.
- We'll mail your admission letter.
Applications for supplementary exams close on 22 January 2019. This date isn't flexible. The supplementary examinations will be written in February and March.
The application form for the supplementary exams can be downloaded from the WCED website.
You must submit your application with:
- a copy of your statement of results,
- a certified copy of your ID, and
- motivation letter if required (view the criteria list)
We recommend that you submit your application by:
fax: 021 461 5637
visit the Exam Walk-in Centre at the WCED Head Office, 2nd Floor, Lower Parliament Street, Cape Town.
For more information please visit the WCED Supplementary Exams website.
Re-marking of exam papers
The Western Cape Education Department has numerous controls in place to ensure that the marking of NSC scripts is of a very high quality.
- Candidates may submit an application for the re-mark of their scripts if they feel that the mark allocated is not a true reflection of their performance on the papers written.
- A re-mark means that the original answer script is marked for a second time by a marker.
- A re-check of your scripts is a further check to ensure that all questions are duly marked and that all marks are correctly calculated.
How do I apply to have my exam re-marked or re-checked?
Western Cape NSC candidates who have a valid South African ID number can apply for the re-marking, re-checking and viewing of scripts using the online application. Candidates without valid South African ID number must submit application forms manually.
Applications, along with the proof of payment can be handed in at the Western Cape Education Department Exams Client Services office (2nd floor, Grand Central Building, Cape Town), for the attention of Mark Cameron.
If posted the following address must be used:
Attention: Mr Mark Cameron
Western Cape Education Department
Private Bag X9114
Applications for remarking or rechecking close on the 22 January 2018.
When will I get an answer?
You will receive your revised results by Monday 25 February 2019.
Please note that new statement of results will only be issued if your subject results improve to a higher level or if the status of your pass changes.
Here is the latest from the Western Cape Education Department: Deadline for applications is 22 January 2019.