Paying your traffic fines: City of Cape Town

When it comes to paying traffic fines there are a lot of questions about where, how and when the traffic fine should be paid. The following is a guide on how to go about paying your traffic fine in the City of Cape Town.  Paying Traffic Fines in Cape Town

Understanding the different types of fines

All traffic violations that take place in the City of Cape Town are dealt with by the City of Cape Town's Municipal Traffic Departments. Violations that take place in other areas are dealt with by the relevant municipality's traffic department.

The first step to paying your traffic fine is understanding the type of fine.

There are 2 types of traffic fines: a section 56 notice, and a section 341 notice.

Section 56 notice: A section 56 notice is issued by a traffic officer and usually involves an offence that happened while the vehicle was moving.  The notice will include a pay date as well as a court date. You have 14 days to pay your fine or appeal in court on the appointed date, which will be within 4 months.

Section 341 notice: issued when the motorist is not around. This may be for an expired licence disc, parking in a loading zone or parking on a yellow or red demarcated lane. A section 341 notice is sent to the motorist by post for violations caught on traffic camera. You have 30 days to pay a section 341 notice fine before a notice of summons is issued, after which you have a further 30 days to pay before a summons with a court date is sent to you.

How can I pay my traffic fine?

There are a number of different options for paying traffic fines. To avoid facing legal action, it’s recommended that you pay your traffic fine on or before the due date, using any of the following methods:

You can also pay your fine using online banking. If you’re not sure how the online process works, contact your bank directly for assistance or advice.

Did you know fine payments can also be made through ATMs? You can contact your bank directly for assistance, or visit your bank’s website to find out how to use this option.

If you prefer to pay your fine in person, you can do so at any of the following locations:

  • Any City cash office (please contact the City to find out which offices are open to  for payments).
  • City of Cape Town municipal courts.
  • Selected Spar (Kwikpay) stores.

Remember to keep your fine notice number and ID number at hand.

You can post your fine payment to the City using the following address:

Cape Town Traffic Services
Private Bag X 19

Where can I find out if I have outstanding fines? 

Call the traffic inquiries section during office hours (Monday to Friday, 8am to 3:30pm) on 0860 103 089. If you would like a printout of your fine, you will have to go to the traffic department in person or register your account at PaycityPaying traffic fines in Cape Town

To update your details, fax your new address (physical and postal), along with a copy of your ID, to Motor Vehicle Registrations on 021 419 1676. Mark it for the attention of the Correspondence Department or call Motor Vehicle Registrations on 0860 103 089.

Where can I view the speed-camera photo? 

If the camera fine's notice number starts with a "9"or a "4", you can view it online if you're already registered. 

To view your photos you'll need to know:

  • the municipal district in which the photo was taken,
  • your vehicle registration number, and
  • the film number, which appears in the traffic fine.

Oostenberg, Helderberg, Milnerton, South Peninsula and Cape Town Traffic between 8:30am and 3pm. 

Can I pay a fine that’s past the due date?

Yes. If you’ve missed the payment date, or have been issued with a notice, you can pay your fine before the court date. Payments can be made at either a municipal court (the nearest municipal court where the fines wERE issued) or at your nearest traffic department.  You can pay by cash or credit card or through postal order. 

Alternatively, you can settle your fine at the court stated on the summons.

Paying your fine in the summons stage

If you’ve been issued with a summons for not paying your fine, but want to pay it before your court date, you can do so at the municipal courts as specified on your summons.

If your fine is overdue or in the summons stage, you can pay it at the municipal court (nearest to where the fine was issued) or traffic department.

How do I dispute a fine?

If you didn’t pay your fine because you intend to dispute it, you must appear in court on the day specified in your summons to make your argument.

For more information, you can contact the City of Cape Town’s Call Centre on 0860 103 089

Contesting Your Traffic Fine 

There are 2 ways in which you can contest your fine. The first is to send a letter, stating your reasons, to the Gallows Hill Traffic Department. This letter must be accompanied with a copy of your fine. You can also fax this letter to 086 201 2154 / 086 293 8189.

Violations that take place in other areas are dealt with by the relevant municipality's traffic department. A list of the local municipalities along with their contact details is available under local government on the our website.
Your letter will then sent by the Traffic Manager to the relevant court, where it will be received by the Public Prosecutor at the court, who will review your fine and send it back to the Traffic Manager. The entire process takes up to 6 weeks

The other option is for you to contact the public prosecutor directly at the court that appears on your fine. If you’ve have received summons you should contact the Public public prosecutor before the date you’re are due to appear in court. 

What is the money used for?

Ever wonder what your traffic fine money is used for? All traffic fine and impoundment income goes into the combined City income. This is used for City related costs and services. 

What are admin marks? 

Ever heard of admin marks but not sure what it is? Admin marks are given to people who’ve been issued with a warrant of arrest for not appearing in court. 

This means, if you have admin marks, you won’t be able to renew your car licence, driving licence, motor vehicle registration or professional driving permit.

To remove an admin mark, visit Gallows Hills Driving Licence Testing Centre in Green Point where you’ll find out how to pay the fine and remove the mark. 

For more information, you can contact the City of Cape Town’s Call Centre on 0860 103 089.

For traffic fines in other municipalities of the Western Cape, please contact the local municipality which issued the fine.   

    The content on this page was last updated on 21 April 2017