Mandela Day 2018
Every year on 18 July, we celebrate Nelson Mandela International Day by giving 67 minutes of our time to do something charitable and positive in our communities.
Launched in 2009 on Madiba’s birthday, the day is an annual celebration of Madiba’s life to remind us of the sacrifices and changes one person can make for the benefit of all. Madiba gave 67 years of his life fighting for our human rights.
2018 is significant as it marks the 100 year anniversary of Madiba.
This year, global citizens are encourage to take #ActionAgainstPoverty, inspire change and make every day a Mandela Day. As citizens, we are encouraged to #BeTheLegacy and leave a positive impact that will bring about sustainable change.
WATCH: Barack Obama delivers 16th Nelson Mandela Annual Lecture
This year, former US president, Barack Obama, was invited to deliver the 16th Nelson Mandela Annual Lecture on the theme “Renewing the Mandela Legacy and Promoting Active Citizenship in a Changing World” in honour of Mandela’s centennial birthday. You can watch the event live in the video below.
We took to the streets to find out what steps citizens are taking to contribute to a better society this Mandela Day.
20 ways you can leave a positive legacy
Leave a positive legacy and make difference this Mandela Day. Have a look at the list of activities that's taking place across the province. You can get involved by giving 67 minutes (or more) of your time.
- Help the Department of Water and Sanitation clean up rivers across the country this month.(move this to no1)
- Create or join a Nelson Mandela Day event.
- Pack a hamper with FoodBank South Africa.
- Lend a helping hand at the Iris House Children’s Hospice.
- Give your time and volunteer your skills at NewKidz.
- Help Child Welfare SA to create better futures for our children.
- Volunteer your time or donate goods to The Salvation Army (Booth Memorial).
- Help pack meals with Stop Hunger Now.
- Donate your time or some much-needed goods to the Douglas Murray Home.
- Donate to the South African Children’s Home.
- Help Operation Smile South Africa and give a child a smile.
- Sign-up as a volunteer with Habitat for Humanity.
- Volunteer your time or donate goods to The Carpenters Shop.
- Volunteer your time or donate goods to Cape Town Society for the Blind (CTSB).
- Greenpop: Organise a team tree planting day by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org to make a booking.
- Save a life: Donate blood or register as an organ donor.
- Decorate readymade dog kennels in 67 minutes in support of Mandela Day with the Dogbox Project.
- Join the Power Of Literacy Mandela Day Challenge with Learning in Reach.
- Volunteer your time walking and playing with sheltered dogs at DARG.
- Offer your time and help endangered birds with SANCOOB.
Follow Nelson Mandela’s journey.