Mandela Day 2017
Every year on 18 July, we celebrate Nelson Mandela International Day by giving 67 minutes of our time to do something charitable and positive in our communities.
Launched in 2009 on Madiba’s birthday, the day is an annual celebration of Madiba’s life to remind us of the sacrifices and changes one person can make for the benefit of all. Madiba gave 67 years of his life fighting for our human rights.
This year's Mandela Day is dedicated to fighting poverty and is a global call to action for us to recognise our individual power to make positive change to the world around us.
Remembering Madiba’s life and legacy
To celebrate Nelson Mandela International Day, we asked a few people to share their opinions of Madiba’s impact on South Africa and the world. Take a look at what they had to say:
18 ways you can give your 67 minutes
How do you plan on spending your 67 minutes on Mandela Day? Have a look at the list of activities that's taking place across the province that you can get involved in by giving 67 minutes of your time.
- Create or join a Nelson Mandela Day event.
- Pack a hamper with FoodBank South Africa.
- Lend a helping hand at the Iris House Children’s Hospice.
- Give your time and volunteer your skills at NewKidz.
- Spend your 67 minutes with Save Foundation and be a part of the #SAVEblanketchallenge.
- Help Child Welfare SA to create better futures for our children.
- Volunteer your time or donate goods to The Salvation Army (Booth Memorial).
- Help pack meals with Stop Hunger Now.
- Donate your time or some much-needed goods to the Douglas Murray Home.
- Donate to the South African Children’s Home.
- Help Operation Smile South Africa and give a child a smile.
- Sign-up as a volunteer with Habitat for Humanity.
- Volunteer your time or donate goods to The Carpenters Shop.
- Volunteer your time or donate goods to Cape Town Society for the Blind (CTSB).
- Greenpop: Organise a team tree planting day by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org to make a booking.
- Save a life: Donate blood or register as an organ donor.
- Decorate readymade dog kennels in 67 minutes in support of Mandela Day with the Dogbox Project.
- Join the Power Of Literacy Mandela Day Challenge with Learning in Reach.
Let’s make every day a Mandela Day and grab the opportunity to positively change our communities for the better. By giving our time, we not only pay tribute to Madiba’s legacy, but also continue his lifelong struggle to uplift our country and the world.