Library Week 2014
Deputy Minister of Arts and Culture Dr Joseph Phaahla will be launching South African Library Week in Cape Town on 15 March 2014.
The event is a partnership between the national Department of Arts and Culture, National Library of South Africa, the Library and Information Association of South Africa (LIASA), City of Cape Town and the Department of Cultural Affairs and Sport (DCAS).
Library Week celebrations will take place across the country from 17 to 22 March around the theme: Celebrating Libraries in 20 years of Democracy: Check in @ your library! The theme is as an opportunity to focus attention on:
- Celebrating the role of libraries in the South Africa’s democracy;
- Highlighting how libraries are supporting the right to freedom of access to information as enshrined in the Bill of Rights;
- Enhancing nation building and community development by opening the doors of learning to all;
- Showcasing libraries as places where people can connect with each other, their communities, the government and the world; and
- Raising awareness about the many learning and entertainment resources that libraries offer members of the public.
Visit your local library and participate in the many special activities that will be taking place during South African Library Week.
The content on this page was last updated on 15 April 2014