Learn where and how to lay a complaint | Western Cape Government

Learn where and how to lay a complaint

Call centre agent

All of us have the right to efficient and professional services from the government or private entities. If you've received bad service from any public/private entity, there are many channels you can follow to get proper corrective action. 

If you've got a complaint about the level of service you received, you can contact any of the offices listed below. 

Western Cape Government Complaints

Contact Centre

Queries or complaints about Western Cape Government services can be directed to the Western Cape Government Contact Centre. You can contact us through the channel that suits you such as social media, the walk-in centre or the call centre. 

 You can also email us, or submit your enquiry or complaint with our contact centre form. The contact centre will help direct your complaint or enquiry and make contact with the relevant agencies. Please note that we will try to deal with your matter as fast as possible, but turn-around times may vary depending on the complexity of your complaint or enquiry.

You can visit our Walk-in Centre at 9 Wale Street, Mondays to Fridays, between 7:30am and 4pm.

Call: 0860 142 142
Fax: 021 483 7216
SMS: Help to 31022  
Please Call Me: 079 769 1207
Email: service@westerncape.gov.za
Tweet us: twitter.com/WesternCapeGov

Or, alternatively, you can also complete an online form.

Department of Health Complaints

The Western Cape Government Department of Health offers a wide range of healthcare facilities across the province. Should you feel that they are not delivering services of sufficient standard, you are welcome to contact them via their patient complaints line.

  • SMS the word "Help" – followed by your name, the nature of your complaint, facility and, if applicable, the name of a staff member to 31022.
  • Call: 0860 142 142 and press "1".
  • Please Call Me: 079 769 1207
  • Send an email to service@westerncape.gov.za

Safe Schools Call Centre

The Western Cape Education Department established the Safe Schools call centre as part of the Safe Schools Programme. You can report violence, abuse, alcohol and drug abuse, vandalism and complaints regarding corruption, at schools to the Call Centre's toll-free number 0800 45 46 47 from Mondays to Fridays, between 7:30am and 4pm. 

Alleged Misuse of Government Motor Vehicles

You can call the report line to report alleged misuse of a government vehicle.

Cell: 082 906 4057

Tel: 021 467 8707

Alternatively, you can send an email to gmt.bureau@westerncape.gov.za

Reporting Irregularities in the Western Cape Government Call centre

Any irregularities in the Western Cape Government can be reported, anonymously, to the Forensic Audit Component of the Provincial Administration. This includes instances of corruption, fraud, theft and misuse of government property.

Physical Address: 9 Riebeek Street, 4th Floor, Atterbury House, Cape Town
Postal Address: PO Box 659, Cape Town, 8000
Toll-free: 0800 701 701
Tel: 021 483 0901
Fax: 021 483 0928
Email: westerncapegov@tip-offs.com

Safely Home Reporter

Report reckless road users using the Safely Home Reporter

Traffic-related violations like illegal parking, vehicles parking in driveways or vehicles blocking traffic flow should be reported to the Metro Police Traffic and Law Enforcement Centre at 021 596 1999.

Please note that complaints of a serious nature (excessive speeding and illegal and dangerous driving) can be formally registered at your nearest police station. Please ensure that you don't report the matter on your cellphone while driving.

Red Tape Reduction Unit

Don’t let red tape slow down your business

The Western Cape Department of Economic Development and Tourism established a Business Helpline to cut red tape and remove bureaucratic blockages to make it easier and more cost-effective to do business in the Western Cape.

To cut red tape out of your business:

Call: Business Helpline: 0861 888 126 (8am to 7pm, Monday to Friday)
Email: redtape@westerncape.gov.za ; or

Western Cape Police Ombudsman

The Western Cape Police Ombudsman seeks to enhance the effectiveness and efficiency of the police services and to improve relations between the police and the communities by investigating complaints of police inefficiency.

If you have any complaints about the service you have received from the police, or would like to report police misconduct, contact the Western Cape Police Ombudsman:

Call: 021 483 0669 (Monday to Friday (excluding public holidays), 7am to 4pm)
Visit: www.westerncape.gov.za/police-ombudsman/
Physical Address: 6th Floor, 80 St. Georges Mall, Waldorf Building, Cape Town

Western Cape Office of the Consumer Protector

You have the right to quality service. No sales person, or anyone else, has the right to take advantage of any consumers. If you've received poor service, got taken advantage of by a company/sales person or received inadequte goods you can report it to the Western Cape Office of the Consumer Protector. 

The Office of the Consumer Protector is aimed at providing access, information, education and compensation to consumers within the province who may experience consumer related disputes.

If you want to settle a dispute with a sales person or a company, contact:

Call: 0800 007 081
Fax: 021 483 5872
Email: consumer.protector@westerncape.gov.za

call-centre-agents.jpgNon-governmental Complaints

Human Rights violations can be reported to one of the following bodies: 

South African Human Rights Commission (SAHRC)

The SAHRC will help you if any of your rights, as contained in the Bill of Rights, have been violated or abused. 

To lodge a complaint you need to complete the online complaint form

You can also contact the Western Cape Office:

Tel: 021 426 2277
Physical Address: Seventh Floor, ABSA Building, 132 Adderley Street, Cape Town, 8000

The Independent Police Investigative Directorate 

Members of the police are there to serve and protect you, but if you feel they've in anyway violated your rights you can contact the Independent Police Investigative Directorate.  

Physical Address: First Floor, Fintrust Building, Corner Petrusa & Mazzur Street, Bellville, 7530
Tel: 021 941 4800
Fax: 021 949 3196
Email: complaints@ipid.gov.za (National) or Complaints.WesternCape@ipid.gov.za  (Western Cape)

Public Protector

If you want to complain about a member of a government department, you should contact the Public Protector.

Postal Address: Western Cape Regional Office, PO Box 712, Cape Town, 8000 
Physical Address: 4th Floor, c/o Wale Street & Bree Street, Cape Town
Tel: 021 423 8644
Fax: 021 423 8708

Commission for Conciliation, Mediation and Arbitration (CCMA)

If you have problems with your employer and have failed to reach an agreement or sort the matter out with them first, the Commission for Conciliation and Arbitration (CCMA) is ready to assist you to resolve the matter. 

Cape Town
Postal Address: Private Bag X9167, Cape Town, 8000
Physical Address: 78 Darling Street, Cape Town
Tel: 021 469 0111
Fax: 021 465 7193// 97/87/021- 462-5006
Email: ctn@ccma.org.za

Postal Address: Private Bag X6650, George, 6530
Physical Address: 2 Cathedral Square, 62 Cathedral Street, George, 6529
Tel: 044-805-7700/01
Fax: 044-873-2906
Email: ctn@ccma.org.za

Commission for Gender Equality 

If you were discriminated against (treated badly) because of your gender you should contact the Commission for Gender Equality.

Physical Address: 5th Floor ABSA Building, 132 Adderley Street, Cape Town, 8001
Tel: 021 426 4080/3 
Fax: 021 424 0549
You can also lodge a complaint online


An ombudsman represents the interests of the public by investigating and addressing complaints of maladministration or violations of your rights. If you have a consumer dispute, you can approach one of these ombudsmen.

The content on this page was last updated on 21 August 2019