Invitation for Nominations: Western Cape Provincial Safety Advisory Committee
I, Albert Theo Fritz, Provincial Minister of Community Safety in the Western Cape, in terms of section 26(3) of the Western Cape Community Safety Act, 2013 (Act 3 of 2013) (“the Act”), invite all interested parties to submit the names of persons who in their opinion are fit and proper persons to be appointed as members of the Western Cape Provincial Safety Advisory Committee (“the Committee”), for purposes of filling two vacancies on the Committee.
- The functions of the Committee are to advise and make recommendations to the Provincial Minister of Community Safety in the Western Cape, at his or her request, with regard to—
- the functions of the Province of the Western Cape in terms of Chapter 11 of the Constitution of the Republic of South Africa, 1996 (“the Constitution”), and Chapter 8 of the Constitution of the Western Cape, 1997 (Act 1 of 1998) (“the Western Cape Constitution, 1997”);
- strategies, policies, budgets and annual performance plans in respect of the functions in terms of Chapter 11 of the Constitution and Chapter 8 of the Western Cape Constitution, 1997;
- regulations in terms of the Act that may be necessary; or
- any other matter arising from the application of the Act.
- The Committee must consist of—
- a representative of the business community;
- a member of the judiciary, the Cape Bar or an attorney subject to the jurisdiction of the Western Cape Provincial Council;
- a senior member of an academic institution with experience in the field of criminology;
- a representative from a non-governmental organisation involved in policing or related areas; and
- the Head of Department: Community Safety (ex officio member).
- Nominations are sought for the appointment of members of the following categories:
(a) a member of the judiciary, the Cape Bar or an attorney subject to the jurisdiction of the Western Cape Provincial Council; and
(b) a representative from a non-governmental organisation involved in policing or related areas.
- The successful candidates will be appointed for a term of three years, which may be renewed once.
- Remuneration will be paid in accordance with the 2019 Remuneration Levels: Service Benefit Packages for Office-Bearers of Certain Statutory and Other Institutions, issued by the Chief Director: Public Entities Governance Unit (National Treasury) with effect from 1 April 2019, which rates are reviewed from time to time:
- R2 619,00 meeting fee per day;
- R327,00 meeting fee per hour; and
- travel allowances based on the national tariffs of the Department of Transport.
- All nominations must be submitted in writing in the form of a signed letter indicating the following:
- the contact details of the nominator and his or her interest in policing or community safety;
- the name, surname and contact details of the candidate and a motivation for the nomination of the candidate.
- All nominations must be accompanied by the aforementioned signed letter, a detailed curriculum vitae of the candidate together with certified copies of his or her qualifications, the identity document or passport of the candidate and a letter signed by the candidate accepting his or her nomination.
8. All nominations must be submitted before or on 5 April 2021 by—
- posting it to:
Head of Department: Community Safety
(Marked: Nominations for the Provincial Safety Advisory Committee)
PO Box 5346
Cape Town 8000
(Attention: Ms A Dissel);
- delivering it to:
Department of Community Safety
Attention: Ms A Dissel
35 Wale Street
Cape Town; or
(c) e-mailing it to:
(Mark the subject box clearly as: Nominations for the Provincial Safety Advisory Committee.)
- Queries may be directed to Amanda Dissel, tel. 021 483 6548.
- All nominations will be treated as strictly confidential.
Click here to download the Provincial Gazette: 8397- Invitation for Nominations: Western Cape Provincial Safety Advisory Committee
Click here to download the advert in English.
Click here to download the advert in Afrikaans.
Click here to download the advert in Isi- Xhosa.